• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help Service Mode Protected - Need to install new printhead!!!

Jo-Lin

We have now attempted dozens of times to key in the updated sequence to access the Service Mode on our Roland sg-540 to no avail. SERVICE MODE PROTECTED Message pops up. I found a youtube video and it appears pretty straight forward, but my printer is not cooperating. Is there a chance the Key Sequence has been modified with the latest software update from Roland??? We are desperate to get this machine back up and running and just to get a tech to our location is $600. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Buy from a brand who believes in DIY repair. Unfortunately they seem to be getting far and few between. In my experience as a tech, Mimaki is one brand holding steady on that front. While they do hold their tech manuals and firmware update software close to the chest, once you get your hands on them, they don't require a tech login credential. Also, service mode has been the same since the 90's on Mimakis. Hold function and remote while powering on. Done. Mutoh didn't block these things for the longest time but I recently saw their new firmware updater and it looks like they are going the way of Roland.

WildWestDesigns

Buy from a brand who believes in DIY repair. Unfortunately they seem to be getting far and few between. In my experience as a tech, Mimaki is one brand holding steady on that front.
Most won't and why would they really when most consumers don't really care about it?

Consumer apathy (and I mean the average "normie" consumer) led to this and with the onslaught of companies saying that right to repair people want tech to regress to the 80s/90s is just silly, but a lot of consumers buy it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most won't and why would they really when most consumers don't really care about it?

Consumer apathy (and I mean the average "normie" consumer) led to this and with the onslaught of companies saying that right to repair people want tech to regress to the 80s/90s is just silly, but a lot of consumers buy it.

I agree. Most of my customers are the DIY types and trying to save some cash on a tech. Lot's of tech savvy people in the sign industry believe it or not! Even then we still do field work because there are a lot of people who would rather have someone else do it to be safe/convenient. Makes sense in some regard as when a tech does it, you get a warranty and any mistakes or accidents they make should be covered by them. But locking up service mode is just diabolical in my view. There aren't any secrets in there.

WildWestDesigns

Even then we still do field work because there are a lot of people who would rather have someone else do it to be safe/convenient. Makes sense in some regard as when a tech does it, you get a warranty and any mistakes or accidents they make should be covered by them.
I can agree with that. But I would say that the option should be there and if whatever company wants to say that any repairs that they have to make repairing the owner's blundering is on the owner.

Now, when the device is out of warranty, I think that there should be no limitations for the consumer, there used to not be. Schematics used to come with purchases (on most things, maybe not on everything, when this was the thing I wasn't dealing with large format printers, so maybe they never did), now they don't. It seems like in so many ways we are going backwards. But whatever, "you" do "you" (this is the general "you", not any one specific), but don't expect much sympathy when things don't go "your" way. Just do what the vendor wants and upgrade to get the warranty and toss out the otherwise perfectly good piece of hardware (I'm surprised that the tree huggers aren't all over this, regardless if they believe in right to repair in of itself).