• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help sizing w adobe!

twocents

Hello everyone, I am having some size issues cutting vinyl with my graphtec 3000 I have figured it out finally and got some cutting done but I am having problems making large sized cuts. I am using Adobe cs5.1 and cutting master, when I send it to the plotter I have the media size at 24inx1968in for the roll of vinyl when I make the job size larger either with proportional or fit to media it will show the job size at say 22inx23in it comes out at 5.5"x5.5" every time. I have fiddled with it but I when I make it larger it cuts it in 2 different parts leaving plenty of spare room on the roll of vinyl but it is useless when it is cut in 2 parts like this. Any ideas anyone? I can make the image longer but when I reach the width of 24" it cuts it at 5.5". When I make it larger than 24" it carries over to another page.

Sign_Boy

Hello everyone, I am having some size issues cutting vinyl with my graphtec 3000 I have figured it out finally and got some cutting done but I am having problems making large sized cuts. I am using Adobe cs5.1 and cutting master, when I send it to the plotter I have the media size at 24inx1968in for the roll of vinyl when I make the job size larger either with proportional or fit to media it will show the job size at say 22inx23in it comes out at 5.5"x5.5" every time. I have fiddled with it but I when I make it larger it cuts it in 2 different parts leaving plenty of spare room on the roll of vinyl but it is useless when it is cut in 2 parts like this. Any ideas anyone? I can make the image longer but when I reach the width of 24" it cuts it at 5.5". When I make it larger than 24" it carries over to another page.

If I understand this correctly you have an image you want to cut (set to a certain size) 22" x 23" when you send it to the plotter you are telling it to fit to media, right? By doing this I would assume it's scaling your image up or down to fit the media.

Try loading the media in the plotter press enter on the CP let it do it's thing then press enter on the CP again and check the true media width. Once you have that enter that number (Width) into the production manager. If it's a long roll I wouldn't worry about media length, you'll have enough there. This should do the trick.
If the image is wider than your true media width it's going to want to splice the image to fit the media.

Hope this helps.

twocents

Thanks for the help here, I did what you said, pressed enter, let it do its thing than enter again and is shows me : L 196.9" S 22.7" . In Adobe media size shows 24"x1968" I click fit to media, Job size shows 24"x24" and again it cuts at exactly 5.5"x5.5" am I missing some other settings?

Sign_Boy

Don't click fit to media.
See the red box in the pic?
That's where you enter the media width from the plotter.
Also select only what you want to plot.
Make sure the width fits the media otherwise is will want to splice it.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• CM2.jpg
    CM2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 84

twocents

OK I unclicked fit to media but the same thing, same size of 5.5"x5.5" I enclosed a screen shot, do you see anything wrong? Thanks so much for the help it is very much appreciated. I also tried clicking proportional and sizing it that way but same thing.

Attachments

• graphtec1.jpg
    graphtec1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 90

Sign_Boy

The first thing I noticed was, your job size width is bigger than your media size width. Try clicking on Poll Size this should automatically tell CM the media width. If it doesn't no worries just manually enter it by clicking the drop down menu to the left of the Poll Size Icon. (You get the width from the CP on the plotter)

How large do you want to cut the image?
What does the CP on the plotter say the media width is?

Remember the media may be 24" wide, but you can't cut that full 24".

Just noticed you didn't click selection only. Probably means you didn't select what you wanted to cut.
Try selecting only what you want to cut and hive that a whirl

Attachments

• CM2_3.jpg
    CM2_3.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

twocents

I tried it with proportional clicked and changed the media size, but same thing with the 5.5" cut :( I am looking to make up some shirts so I just need the size a bit larger, nothing specific though, I am doing these shirts for a friend and his organization, and I am not making any money off him so I can take my time here LOL no deadlines :) They dont have to be perfect but I dont want to give him shirts with tiny 5" designs on them.

Any size suitable for a t shirt would be good for me but these 5.5" is just too small.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!! I attached another screen shot, I did need the image reversed but am just toying with it now with vinyl decal paper trying to get something bigger going.

Attachments

• GRAPHTEC2.jpg
    GRAPHTEC2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Sign_Boy

Select the image you want to cut in illy - how large is it?

As for media size you need to know the width of the media according to your plotter.
If you have a 24" plotter the is no way you can cut the full 24".

Load your media - press enter on the plotters CP (Control Panel)
Let the plotter head move from right to left and back to the right again.
Press enter on the CP again - the little screen on the CP should change to show you numbers - one of those numbers is the TRUE media width.
Take that number and manually enter it int CM

See pics below

On a side note you may not want to mention doing work for free on here.
It's just not the best of ideas - just sayin'

Attachments

• CM_1.jpg
    CM_1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 91
  • CM_2.jpg
    CM_2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 88
  • CM_3.jpg
    CM_3.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 80
  • CM_4.jpg
    CM_4.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 98
  • CM_5.jpg
    CM_5.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 101

signage

Could your plot area setting be turned on? Sould like either a scaling issue or some other setting be set incorrectly.

Have you gone to Graphtecs website and watched the videos?

Sign_Boy

Could your plot area setting be turned on? Sould like either a scaling issue or some other setting be set incorrectly.

Have you gone to Graphtecs website and watched the videos?

I've only used this prog a few time and didn't have an issue plotting once I got it linked with my puter.

I noticed selection only was not clicked I'd bet a penny - if the image to be plotter was scooped up with the selection tool and selection only was checked off there would be no issues

signage

I've only used this prog a few time and didn't have an issue plotting once I got it linked with my puter.

I noticed selection only was not clicked I'd bet a penny - if the image to be plotter was scooped up with the selection tool and selection only was checked off there would be no issues

But it looks like it is grayed out/not selectable.

signage

If it was designed at full size then the scale should be 100% or their abouts, being 400% is scaling it up and who knows what else may be on his page/design sheet! Did he select just the object or is he outputting the whole page/design sheet?

Sign_Boy

If it was designed at full size then the scale should be 100% or their abouts, being 400% is scaling it up and who knows what else may be on his page/design sheet! Did he select just the object or is he outputting the whole page/design sheet?

Don't know looks like the entire artboard - selection only is not checked

twocents

OK it seems to be working with poll size options checked :) Still is not the accurate size that it shows me but it is cutting larger thats for sure! And did I say free? I meant I was getting $85 a shirt like starbucks :) Thank you so much guys for chiming in and helping a noob out, it is so much appreciated!! I would like to buy u a fish sammwish :)~~

twocents

And I think I must be having some scaling issues, the job size here shows 58"x58" but it cut it at 15"x12" which was perfect for me anyway, but just wondering what I am doing wrong here with the scaling.

Attachments

• graphtec4.jpg
    graphtec4.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 96