• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help! SP300V Overspray

PatrickW

I have a 5 year old lightly used Versacamm that has developed an overspray problem on certain colors. It oversprays on cyan. I use a lot of Roland Library colors. It doesn't do it much, if at all, on the lighter to medium blues. The darker you get the more it oversprays, and it gets really bad if you do any darker teal colors. seems to be worse in the left direction than the right. All other colors (reds, yellows) seem to be sharp. I have did a test print and it seems to be fine - no significant drop out or anything. I have did the cleaning and noticed the black/blue print head was more coated with blue/green ink than normal, as was the capping station and around the absorbent material by the wipers. It also seems to be building up blue/green overspray at the right edge where the vinyl runs through. I have cleaned the encoder strip, unplugged the machine and let sit to get rid of static, all to no avail. Any ideas?

PatrickW

I run strictly Orajet vinyl through it, but yes I notice it on all materials from 3640, 3651, 3551 & 3751. I think it tends to be worse on "High Quality" vs "Standard"

If its the print head, wouldn't I notice something on a test print? And if its static, whats the best solution?

CS-SignSupply

Two ways to check the head would be the bi-di test and the ink fill test pattern.

If you notice overspray on one color, chances are you may need a new head.

Have your local tech pull a Peck Report to get the shotcounts and see if any of your heads are close to life expectancy.

If you do not have a local tech, use the link here for the Co-Peck tool, and send the result to me and I will review it for you.

scuba_steve2699

for static - try turning off the printer completely and then unplugging it for 5 minutes or more to disapate all the charges - then turn it back on and try a print.

I also attached the Roland guide to static for you to review.

Attachments

• Static Suppression for Roland Printers.pdf
    855.2 KB · Views: 212

rjssigns

If you are using OEM inks then take a clean microfiber cloth and clean the encoder strip. It probably has some dust on it. Our 540 will over-spray from time to time and that cures it.
Exhaust all the cheap and easy fixes first.

BTW if we have material that is full of static we hang Bounce sheets across the back of the printer just over the material. (told ya I was cheap) I know we could buy static "whiskers" and such, but it is so rare we have an issue a $2.00 box of Bounce lasts us years.

PatrickW

Bobby, I tried running the CoPeck tool as per the users manual but its not working. It appears to be trying to communicate with my HP Officejet desktop printer rather than the versaCamm. I shut the secondary power off and my VC has firmware 6.6, so Im not sure what is going on. But as soon as I hit Get Report, my HP fires up and CoPeck locks up.

On the others........thanks guys. I have tried shutting the machine off, cleaning the encoder strip etc. That hasn't worked. Maybe have to get the wife's Bounce sheets in here next..........

CS-SignSupply

Shut down the computer and unplug the HP printer from the USB Port. Start up the PC and try again. Do you have the Roland SP-300V listed in your Printers Folder? If not, this may be the communication error cause.

PatrickW

As per the encoder strip, I cleaned it using swabs and 70% Isopropyl as per a YouTube video. It took quite a few swabs before they came thru clean. But, like I said, it didn't fix the overspray.

PatrickW

Bobby, Its under "Printers & faxes" in the Win 7 control panel. I'll have to shut the PC down and try again. Thanks for the help so far!

CS-SignSupply

Once you get the report, email it to me. I will be out of the office but will look at it at my next stop after receiving it and get back with you. PM me your phone number if you would like a call then.

PatrickW

I sent Bobby the CoPeck file and the heads have a very low count. I think I mentioned it has been lightly used. Hopefully, the heads are OK yet. Anyway, he mentioned doing a head soak. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or instructions on that? I did a little research and the steps I found were pretty vague.

I did try the Bounce sheets and it didn't really cure the problem so i'm thinking it may not be static.

BTW: someone asked about inks. I am currently using Solaris inks. I have been using them for a couple years and haven't had any problems so far.

Last edited: