• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP - Troubleshooting - yellow has disappeared

Hello All !

Machine - Mamaki cjv30-100

My black disappeared mid print which i suspected was the damper, it was late at night so i just set my head to soak overnight and when i came to change the damper in the morning my yellow had also gone.

i swapped dampers on both and but only my black has come back.

I've swapped the lines over and the yellow comes through in another station so it looks like the line and damper are fine.

but when i flush the yellow head manually i can see the yellow come back for a few test prints then go again. it alos did come back long enough for me to print something but then it went.

So from what i can tell the line/damper and head are fine so i have ordered a cap top which is on the way but just though i would put it out there to see if anybody had any thoughts or has experienced this themselves.

AlsO, i hope everybody is keeping well and looking after themselves and loved ones in these weird ass times, PEACE.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When you did the damper swap to see if yellow would print in another channel, did the color you swapped it with also not print in the yellow channels? When you flush the yellow channels, did you see cleaning solution come out of any other of the channels other than yellow?

When you did the damper swap to see if yellow would print in another channel, did the color you swapped it with also not print in the yellow channels? When you flush the yellow channels, did you see cleaning solution come out of any other of the channels other than yellow?
hello!, the colour i swapped did not print in the yellow channel, the original black that missed is now not printing either. FYI it was these two channels that were swapped to test the line.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
hello!, the colour i swapped did not print in the yellow channel, the original black that missed is now not printing either. FYI it was these two channels that were swapped to test the line.
It sounds like it's possible the cap top is the issue. You might be getting inconsistent suction from the current one which is why it seems to be coming and going. If the cap top doesn't do it, I have been seeing ink flow issues on these older models. I usually just change out the ink lines and all the connections/o-rings along the way to make sure no air is getting into the system.

If none of that helps, unfortunately I have a feeling the head is damaged internally. The fact that the yellow can print in the black channel and black can't print in the yellow channel points to that. But it could just be that the cap top isn't 100% or the ink lines are letting in air.

It sounds like it's possible the cap top is the issue. You might be getting inconsistent suction from the current one which is why it seems to be coming and going. If the cap top doesn't do it, I have been seeing ink flow issues on these older models. I usually just change out the ink lines and all the connections/o-rings along the way to make sure no air is getting into the system.

If none of that helps, unfortunately I have a feeling the head is damaged internally. The fact that the yellow can print in the black channel and black can't print in the yellow channel points to that. But it could just be that the cap top isn't 100% or the ink lines are letting in air.
Thanks for the reply, ill replace the cap and hope for the best!

ooooooookay so i changed the damper again and all is working fine, i could tell as soon as i put the damper into the head that it had more suction to the nip (im such a child).

may have been a dodgy seal on the damper.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help me pal, take care

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
ooooooookay so i changed the damper again and all is working fine, i could tell as soon as i put the damper into the head that it had more suction to the nip (im such a child).

may have been a dodgy seal on the damper.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help me pal, take care
That's the way of these machines! One little bit of air getting in throws it all off. Glad to hear it was something simple!

That's the way of these machines! One little bit of air getting in throws it all off. Glad to hear it was something simple!
i spoke too soon, i managed to print some posters and then my next test print had no yellow. it seems to use the ink that i had manually put into the damper. so after that ink is used its not filling itself back up.

Very strange.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I don't have a Mimaki, but I've had similar issues on my Roland's and it turned out to be the cap top.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
They've done well for me, especially the older models. Unfortunately the newer models have you locked out of the service menu, which is frustrating to people like me who can and do their own maintenance and servicing of the printers.

They've done well for me, especially the older models. Unfortunately the newer models have you locked out of the service menu, which is frustrating to people like me who can and do their own maintenance and servicing of the printers.
I may have to pick up an older roland as soon as i can. this mimaki went down 6 months ago too which cost me a fair bit.

I've only been going a few year so it always feels like im barely getting my footing before another kick in the nuts comes along.

But hay ho, must crack on!

Replaced the cap top which changed nothing, then i thought id change the screw + O ring that screws onto the clip above the damper and it started working perfectly again, got through 5 test prints and manged to get some prints out again but then the yellow slowly slipped away after more test prints. i've changed the clip and still no good.

netsol

have you flushed the pump, itself? and made sure the lines are clear?
you seem to only be printing with what ink you manually got into the damper

there is also the possibility you have a hairline crack in the manifold (the two lines off the head, that the damper sits on)
all this shifting around of parts leads to no good

solventinkjet often recommends trimming 1/8" off the hoses when changing dampers and orings.
the same advice would probably be fine, reusing the oring, if you don't have new ones

have you flushed the pump, itself? and made sure the lines are clear?
you seem to only be printing with what ink you manually got into the damper

there is also the possibility you have a hairline crack in the manifold (the two lines off the head, that the damper sits on)
all this shifting around of parts leads to no good

solventinkjet often recommends trimming 1/8" off the hoses when changing dampers and orings.
the same advice would probably be fine, reusing the oring, if you don't have new ones
Thanks for the reply.

I have trimmed the line, flushed the pump manually and still no joy.

So everything does seem to be pointing towards the manifold, luckily i do have a spare one, have you ever changed one before or no of any guidelines on how to swap one over?

netsol

no, just a crack where you seat the damper.
it is a black nipple, and i always have trouble seeing them. (lots of light and a magnifier helps)
we had this exact situation last week. the black went away, or one side of the head, then the other, in the course of 3 nozzle checks
i could pull ink from the line connecting to the manifold, but nothing from the hose from the captop

we switched the manifold from a previously bad head and were up and running again