• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HELP!! VP540 Advancing while printing like crazy!

yukon

I'm at a screeching halt on very big wrap project - please help!

I was printing a panel normally when suddenly the printer started advancing super fast WHILE it was printing and cleaning at the same time causing weird diagonal prints. It doesn't stop advancing until I turn off the main power. Once powered on, it sets up as usual, I advance manually past the diagonal misprints, choose sheet cut, then it advances backwards super fast and shoots out the vinyl out the back! Again I have to turn off main power to get it to stop. What the #!* is going on???

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Yukon

InkjetAuction

It's not the paper sensor.
There is something going on with your feed encoder.

On the VP series, there is a separate feed encoder (for accuracy). It is located on the left side of the machine. To access it, you remove the plastic cover there on the left and you will see it. It is a big clear plastic disc (very fragile). The feed encoder sensor is right there in the front.

I would first check the connection from the feed encoder to the junction board. I've seen this issue resolved by simply unplugging the connectors, cleaning them, and re-seating. Could also be a bad cable or connector. You will have to remove the left side metal cover to access the junction board without risking damage to the encoder disc.

Now, I suggest that you contact a qualified tech to help you with this-- but if you do try to repair this yourself-- be sure not to damage the big encoder disc. It is very fragile and expensive.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me should you need additional assistance.

~E

yukon

Thanks ~E,

I will take a look at that. I was able to get it to do a system report, then a plain blue square, but it then went into advancing again. I unplugged everything let it sit for an hour. Then I was able to set it up and reprint the panel fine. Moved onto another panel started fine then it was self cleaning during the print and immediately started advancing fast again! Both times it happened during a self cleaning during printing. Is this a clue?

Thanks,
Yukon

InkjetAuction

Weird...

Weird for sure... It may possibly that the issue be related to the feed motor itself.

There are two feed encoders in the VP-540. There's one inside the feed motor itself and there's the big grit encoder. The printer uses the big grit encoder to determine X-resolution during regular printing. However it is unclear if the printer's logic uses the grit encoder during maintenance tasks. I do suspect that the printer uses the encoder in the feed motor itself for these tasks.

The feed motor could be bad, but it's unlikely. I would check the actual connection to the feed motor itself. Clean and reseat it.

If you are able to access the service menu, you can run a task that will help you determine if there is a failure between the Grit and Feed Motor encoders. Run Service Menu > Motor Menu > G-Enc. Check. You'll be able to see actual data from the two sensors... but essentially it's a pass/fail thing.

You can also check the feed servo itself using the Motor > Servo Lock test

Why do these problems always happen on a Saturday when you have a $#itload of work to do?

I hope that it's as simple as the connections. I've seen quite a few loose connections in these machines lately.
The VP fleet is showing signs of aging...

~E

yukon

Hi ~E

We checked all the connections, ran feed aging, grit encoder check and servo lock - all good. Setup media and printed 2 small panels. The first did fine, the 2nd started fine then midway went into it's fast forward thing while printing! I'm at a loss. Looking at the service manual, perhaps I need a new feed motor? I'm not getting any error messages.

Have you any other thoughts?

Thank you!

Yukon

InkjetAuction

Replace ir

Definitely acting flaky.

Be sure to be sure you have latest firmware installed too.

At this point I would replace the feed motor.

~E

wochi

I´m having this problem also. But when doing the steps you recommend i had a grit encoder check fail! What can cause this? The encoder seems clean to me.

Thanks in advance