• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help!! What happened and why!?!?!?!

TDFcustomSL

was just in the middle of printing a job and noticed the printer stopped printing, I walked across the room (small room) to find Cyan ink splattered all over the wall, floor, and down the leg of the printer stand. It ate through the data cable (which is why it stopped printing) and destroyed the vinyl flooring by eating through it. I quickly pulled all the ink cartridges out and the Cyan Cartridge had ink pouring out of it. I removed the plastic that the cartridges slide into but it was already melted to the machine and melted INSIDE the machine. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Im at a total loss, in more ways than one. I don't see how this could be caused from something that I did, or didn't do. The cartridge was an EnduraInk from Signwarehouse, Which is what I have run in the printer since the day I got it with ZERO issues. I just have no idea what to do or who to contact at this point. The printer is out of warranty.:banghead:

Attachments

• 20141215_204036.jpg
    20141215_204036.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 225
  • 20141215_204048.jpg
    20141215_204048.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 20141215_204054.jpg
    20141215_204054.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 20141215_204101.jpg
    20141215_204101.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 241
  • 20141215_204121.jpg
    20141215_204121.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 234

LFC911

sounds like the foil bag failed or wasn't sealed and melted the cart and cartridge holder, I would recommend calling Grafx Network, I think they have a tech in Blue Springs, MO that can help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow........

Sorry to hear all the damage that took place. Guess those inks are a little more dangerous than the manufacturers or distributors lead us to believe, huh ??

Good luck...........:thumb:

TDFcustomSL

Yeah, it made a mess. Just to update a little bit. After further inspection I found that I have some air bubbles in one of my Cyan lines. I am assuming that because the bag in the cartridge blew it allowed it to suck some air. Still curious if this could be caused from anything I did or didn't do properly.

TDFcustomSL

sounds like the foil bag failed or wasn't sealed and melted the cart and cartridge holder, I would recommend calling Grafx Network, I think they have a tech in Blue Springs, MO that can help.

If I cant find someone closer Ill have to give them a call. Thanks

TDFcustomSL

Alright, heard back from SW. They are going to send whatever parts are damaged, along with new ink, at no cost. I guess it is very rare for this to happen so of course it happens to me. I guess I'm on my own for the flooring tho, which of course will be the most expensive part. Thanks to the few of you that replied.

phototec

Sorry to hear about you problem, I know you don't want to hear what I'm going to tell you, but I have been around for a long time and learned a lot of life lessons the hard way.

So, whenever you go with CHEAP inks like you have done, you can except to have theses kinds of things happen. The poor quality caught up to you and not only damaged you printer but also the floor covering.

You should go after the ink manufacture for the replacement of the flooring which was damaged buy their ink cartridge that failed (leaked), and if they don't step up like SW did, take them to small claims court. I would love to see them squirm on Judge Judy's TV court TV show.

And from now on, I would only used quality OEM ink cartridges, they would really cheaper in the long run, as you are now finding out.

Good luck and keep us posted to how you come out of this mess....

Suz

Sorry, I was a bit late to respond to this... had my own messes to deal with concerning Computers and Software!!!

Wow! That is s mess you have there. So glad you are getting some help there with the expense! But the clean-up part, that is a lot of work. Yeah, I think I'd go with just the manufacturer's inks, like the others have said. I do that with my big printers.

I do experiment with smaller inkjet printers and have found some excellent ink - Cobra Ink. I use it to make film positives for screenprinting. The printers I have for this purpose are very inexpensive - about $50-$100.00, so not much is lost if the printer fails due to my ink choice there.

As mentioned, I would not experiment with ink for my big printers.

utmtech

I have had really good luck with Bordeaux ink sold by premiercolour. OEM inks are not going to save you from the 1/1,000,000 strike of bad luck where some component like a seal fail and allows pressure to drop or what looks like build in this case. Others ragging 3rd party inks are of the same mind as copier techs ragging "copier dirt" low quality copier toner... Just because a lot of aftermarket inks/toners are of poor quality doesn't mean they all are. The same could be said for anything. The reason I trust my inks is because they are formulated to match OEM performance and the company runs thousands of feet of material at scheduled intervals to assure the batches are up to par, more-over they have released spectrographic data on their spectral properties which show properties matching the OEM.

But as anything, you can go out and buy a busted *** kia(compatible ebay ink) and damn all foreign cars, or you could spend a little more on Toyota(reputable 3rd party ink releasing scientific data showing performance results) and see real integrity.

Or you can go all-out paying 3x more and buy a honkatonkin GM(OEM ink) and boast about your domestic...

Meanwhile, those of us on a budget: :rolleyes: ...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I have to agree with utmtech. Aftermarket inks can have every bit of the quality of OEM ink and more. I have personally had a leaking OEM ink cartridge many years ago and I have had multiple OEM ink cartridges with other problems like bad chips. For the past 5+ years though I have run aftermarket inks only. Overall - about the same amount of problems in the grand scheme of things.

Glad to hear SW is stepping up to the plate and replacing the damaged parts TDF!

TDFcustomSL

Yes they stepped right up and had parts shipped to me straight from Mutoh. As for the inks, I have had better luck with these EnduraInk cartridges than Ive had with the OEM ones. I feel like with the non OEM there seems to be more ink in them which is a larger cushion for when the low ink alert comes on. Also, I have switched from Endura to Mutoh mid print and there was ZERO color shift on an almost all solid colors graphic.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I agree, not all third party inks are bad. We have been selling our house brand of inks now for over three years. We have one customer that uses over 750 220ml cartridges a year and has been doing so since we started selling them *without *issues. Occasionally you will get a chip error but it isn't any more common than it is on the OEM inks. The color match on our inks to OEM has always been perfect.

https://www.thegrs.com/shop.net/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=MT_VJ&br=GRS-ProSolv&incl_m=F

Last edited by a moderator:

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I have had really good luck with Bordeaux ink sold by premiercolour. OEM inks are not going to save you from the 1/1,000,000 strike of bad luck where some component like a seal fail and allows pressure to drop or what looks like build in this case. Others ragging 3rd party inks are of the same mind as copier techs ragging "copier dirt" low quality copier toner... Just because a lot of aftermarket inks/toners are of poor quality doesn't mean they all are. The same could be said for anything. The reason I trust my inks is because they are formulated to match OEM performance and the company runs thousands of feet of material at scheduled intervals to assure the batches are up to par, more-over they have released spectrographic data on their spectral properties which show properties matching the OEM.

But as anything, you can go out and buy a busted *** kia(compatible ebay ink) and damn all foreign cars, or you could spend a little more on Toyota(reputable 3rd party ink releasing scientific data showing performance results) and see real integrity.

Or you can go all-out paying 3x more and buy a honkatonkin GM(OEM ink) and boast about your domestic...

Meanwhile, those of us on a budget: :rolleyes: ...

Thank you -
Since there was an ink supply issue with Bordeaux, we are now selling Jetbest ink - made in Taiwan. We are the direct importer, we control the inventory. No supply issue. Find out more www.premiercolour.com or give us a call 714-668-9200.