• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with a graphics card upgrade

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Hello all! I am currently working on a Dell Inspiron 620. Intel Core i5-2320. 8GB Ram. AMD RADEON HD 6450.

This link might work... http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...rviceTag/5WWHHS1/configuration?detect=y&s=DHS

I am trying to work with some fairly large illustrator files with our catalog and it takes minutes to save or make major changes sometimes. Using CC2014 here.

Is there something I can upgrade? My Graphics card? And if so can you make a recommendation?

-OR- is this time to spring for a new computer?

SignBurst PCs

Hello all! I am currently working on a Dell Inspiron 620. Intel Core i5-2320. 8GB Ram. AMD RADEON HD 6450.

This link might work... http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...rviceTag/5WWHHS1/configuration?detect=y&s=DHS

I am trying to work with some fairly large illustrator files with our catalog and it takes minutes to save or make major changes sometimes. Using CC2014 here.

Is there something I can upgrade? My Graphics card? And if so can you make a recommendation?

-OR- is this time to spring for a new computer?

FireSprint,

I wouldn't waste your money on a new video card. There are a number of upgrades you could make, processor (to a compatible i7), more RAM, and possibly an SSD. Any of the three would make a bigger difference than a new video card.

Solid State Hard Drive is a MUST!......MORE RAM RAM RAM..... Prob Time to upgrade, but stay away from dell and big box pcs, build it your self or have it done for about a grand. If you need to save a few bucks look for Gaming PCS on ebay and tiger direct you can pick up somthing decent for $500-600.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
One of the very first things you should have done when you got the Dell new was to install the x64 version of Windows 7. Of course Dell does not provide a method to do that so its a bit complicated for most end users to this but the same OEM key in the sticker on the machine will work for x64 or x32 version of OEM Windows 7. One problem is Dell defaults to installing 32 bit Windows. Adobe and many other programs out fully support 64 bit and the 64 bit version of Illustrator is MUCH better with large files as well as Photoshop. However with 32 bit Windows you are limited to a maximum of 4GB of ram in the system being useable. Even less will be useable by Windows and your programs since that same 4GB limit is reduced by however much memory the video card (or onboard video) uses. So if you have 4GB of ram and you add a 1GB video card Windows will then only be able to use 3Gb for programs.

A SSD is a major improvement. Personally the computer is not terribly dated but to reconfigure everything would be time consuming and probably not worth it once you add in the cost of upgrading the RAM, processor, and adding a reasonably sized SSD on top of the time it will take to reload Windows 7x64 from scratch in additional to everything other program and getting all of your settings and preference reset. If you are going to go to that trouble, may as well just go ahead and get a new system that is configured optimally from the get go. Catch though is you would also almost be forced into also updating to Winblows 8.

Nothing at all wrong with most BUSINESS CLASS or even better, PROFESSIONAL WORKSTATION class Dell or other big box systems as long as you get the right one and make sure it is either configured right from the get go or reconfigure it right before you really start using it. Of course getting a purpose built system from Casey at Signburst is an even better option for most since it will be tailored specifically to your needs and optimized specifically for our line of business.

player

Right click in the bottom task bar. Open Task Manger. Go to Resources.

Then work on your file. If your ram is anywhere close to being used, add some ram.

Techman

Cut your graphic into layers. Then when you make a change only that layer will take the time to render.