• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Help with AXYZ Millenium Router

meandmyminions

I talked to the company today. $100 to open a support ticket. About $800 for new toolpath software and converter. No return policy on software but 20% restocking fee on parts of it doesn't fix the problem. I have an extra computer with Windows 7 I would be able to put new software on and run it that way. I guess the first step would be opening up a support ticket? What do you guys think? Hopefully the tech support would be worth it. Anyone have any experience with AXYZ tech support?

Martin Denton

Granted the toolpath software I was given with the machine is quite old but it was a very basic piece of software. I would seriously look at other options such as artcam express as far easier to learn and very powerful as well as a lot cheaper. All you need is software that will output nc format code to the post processor !
AXYZ in the Uk offer a subscription based support rather than per ticket. I would suggest that is worth looking into at least for the first year as I think you will have a few repeat visits to AXYZ until you are properly up and running...

meandmyminions

I thought toolpath was the software to output nc format code to the router so you would need it. Right now it's not working says offline when I try to send a file to the router. I have the other programs to design just need to get the files out to the router and this is the problem I'm having with toolpath software is it says offline even though the router is booted fine, shows previous files, just can't get it to connect to the router pc for outputing files. Going to wire up a new serial test cable just to be sure. I've checked everything I have schematics for and it's checking good from the router side of things. Not a cnc expert actual this is my first rodeo with this sort of thing. Went to a friends cnc shop the other day just to see how he's running things and told him some of the problems I was having and he gave me some ideas so going to try a few things. It could be something simple and I'm making it more complicated then it has to be I've never seen toolpath when it was running but I know it definitely doesn't work because I've read the toolpath instructions we have and it's definitely saying the router is offline. My question is what is causing the router to say offline inside of toolpath and not show a connection? Have a huge picture dump I've taken pictures of every single thing I can think of and it doesn't help there isn't much documentation on the AXYZ millenium router I have or anything but the help section inside of toolpath. Don't have manuals for anything just a shop procedure that was written by someone before me of how to set up files for toolpath and how to run the router. Problem is can't because router says it's offline in software. I can't send any new files over to the router if I need to route a new design. Documentation seems to be lacking online.

Martin Denton

As per my original response I think the part that is causing your problem is this - https://www.cncroutershop.com/uk_en/23117-usb-to-rs485-converter-box.html. This is whats used to communicate between your PC and the router and if the connection isnt there is will show as 'offline' as this reflects the communication status between the PC and the router

My comment ref toolpath was that it is very clunky and limited in functionality to use and certainly not worth $800 compared to other programs but it will happily send the code to the router. Ref the rs485 converter. I tried ones that you can pick up for a few quid (dollars) and they did not work which is why I took my original controller and had the offending chip replaced.
I think you will struggle to find any documentation as AXYZ like to keep their knowledge to themselves so they can charge exorbitant service charges...

Martin Denton

incidentally if you follow that link I sent on my previous response there are some downloadable manuals, not sure how detailed they are though?...

meandmyminions

Thanks Martin. I've looked into some breakout boards and the smoothstepper. Looked into possibility of using something like Mach3, etc. Don't know how hard it is to convert over to something like that but I'm entertaining the possibility. I have the original axyz LRC card in the old win 98 computer right now. bought a cheap usb to rs485 converter but not exactly sure how to hook it up to the wires and the terminals. the way the serial cable runs right now is red, black, green, and shield on 4 of the top five pins of serial. Trying to find some sort of diagram to figure out what they are. I'd like to see it working inexpensively before deciding on upgrading to something better in the future. I found that the emergency stop had popped off the back of the inside of the front cover. Hooked that back up today. That switch works now and turns off the machine like it should and turns back on when popped out and hitting green button like it should. On button worked but there was nothing to turn it off before but unplugging it which I fixed, either that or someone purposely pulled the back off emergency stop.

astro8

Are your com port settings 9600, 8, none, 1, hardware?.....or try 19200, 8, even, 1, hardware...make sure buffers in the advanced tab are set to lowest possible speed. I don't have experience with axyz but these older routers are very picky about cables and settings. Some cables work fine, some never work even though they are the same type cable...I've only had one usb to serial convertor that ever worked out of half a dozen and can't remember the brand but it was a cheap chinese one someone gave me because it wouldn't work for them.

If were me, I would forget about upgrading any hardware or controllers. Get your original stuff working. Spend any money you can get on even the basic version of Enroute or get a subscription for a couple of months to try it out. Vectric, Artcam, Profilelab, etc, etc are all good but nothing beats Enroute for a sign shop....my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

meandmyminions

I got it working. The switch on the back of the emergency stop had popped off or someone intentionally unhooked it. One or the other. I'm guessing it wasn't completing some type of circuit even though it was turning on and the emergency switch has been rewired different at some point. Really can't believe it was this simple. Software now connects and sends files to router and shows previous files in memory from computer. I feel a big sense of relief and all is good. For my first experience with CNC and not a lot of documentation I feel I did pretty good. At least I got a lot of crap out of the router that in my opinion could have shorted something not sure how some of the stuff that fell into the enclosure got in there. Definitely doing some maintenance and upkeep on it looks like it definitely needs some TLC. Really can't believe it was that simple but it was in a pretty hidden spot underneath the front cover and wasn't obvious at first.