• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with changing an l26500 belt

soyeb ravat

Hi all,

New to the forum here,

I need help changing an l26500 belt. The head is stuck right in the middle so I can't move it. Would I need to buy new heads cos they might dry out?

I'm thinking of doing it myself as I have the service manual. It states I have to remove right and left panels, encoder strip and the head itself. As well as the back panel. Has someone done this before so I get get some pointers?

Thank you for your help in advance

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
The service manual is pretty good.
I only take off the right end, BUT... be darned careful with the encoder strip or you'll either dent it or wreck the ends where it screws to the bracket.
So, if you're uncertain, then remove both ends of the printer, and slowly loosen tension on everything - belt and encoder, together gently a little at a time from each end.
Take numerous digital photos as you go, to help your memory when putting it back.
Don't dent the encoder strip.
The belt is simple enough as long as you get it back the right way round - look where the joins are, and replicate that placement with the new one.
And take care of the encoder strip.

soyeb ravat

Highly appreciate this. Thank you. I will post a video of me doing it to ensure I'm doing it right and maybe somebody else can benefit from it.

Thanks again

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
A video might sound useful, but the L26500 is a bit obsolete these days - few people are nurturing them along like me...
I still have 20 ink cartridges to use up!
There are only about 7 screws each end, to undo - but you'll have to find them!
2 will be sort of inside facing out.
And the first steps are remove the head cleaning cartridge (the paper roll thing in a tray)
and flick the console display cover surround off, and loosen a screw, and remove the LDC display panel, so it's ok when you put the plastic end back on again.
Then unscrew the ends, loosen the belt tension, undo the end plates, slide the head carriage off, turn it over...