• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with finding acrylic faces for 12' x12' cabinet

vinylink0331

I have a customer who has a resturant sign that has a cabinet that measures to 12' x 12'. He wants to reuse the exsisting face, but it's painted and I don't know any way to remove the paint or if it could be sanded and cleaned. He would like to keep it as a lighted sign if possible. Any advice on how to reuse the same face would be great. If not, where would a good wholesaler to deal with for acrylic faces. Any input is appreciated.

J Hill Designs

my normal suppliers carry max 100.5" roll stock in lexan - im sure they make 10 and 12' roll stock, just might be hard to come by

theskipman_98

another suggestion, but there are a lot of "ifs" or "buts". Subdivide the cabinet into sections "if" the design, the lamp layout, and the internal structure allows for it, using t-bars. Then you would be able to find more manageable sized material; smaller sized materials. "If" allows for it, maintenance could be made easier. This would allow, lets say for example, one long painted main panel at the top, and 2 smaller vinyled changeable ones at the bottom.
Just a thought...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't be using no acrylic in that size of a cabinet.

If you have an open area, you can lay the faces on some horses and using denatured alcohol and some rags.... you moisten the area and then rub the paint off. It's a long process, but it will eventually get all of the paint off.

If the lettering/graphics are painted on, most likely the backside was sprayed with white for lighting. Problem is... according to what your basic face is you might end up with a clear face when finished and you'll have to spray it again to use it.

There is 12' wide Lexan available, but if your customer wants to save money..... he'll change his mind real fast when he hears that price and go with a non-lit sign.

rfsign

I just stripped and reapplied vinyl to a double sided sign close to those dimension and I just did it in place. In retrospect I would have been doing the customer and myself a big favor if I would have converted it to a flex face. When signs are that size it is a lot easier for maintenance and repair.

OhioSignShop

Even if you remove the paint it will leave an area of different clarity due to uneven UV and weathering. The previously painted area will leave a ghost image in the face. You can sometimes get around this by a first surface application of the new graphics with an almost opaque base applied first (also to the front). This is more work than its worth most of the time unless you go to a non-illuminated version and cover everything up. I'd go with the 12'6" SeeMee Flex from Glantz, about $29 lineal foot