• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with flat screen monitor

threeputt

Got myself a new flat screen a year ago and love it. So I decided to get one for our second design station operator. But I can't seem to figure out how to get his display fixed so that the type is clearer. It appears to have a sort of "shadow" on it.

I've used the tools drop down and appearance tabs to no avail. Any ideas?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I made the switch a few months ago and had to futz and finagle with it a bit ... finally adjusting to a 1280 x 960 resolution using the large font and large icon settings. this will vary with your video card and with the actual screen size and whether or not it is standard or wide screen. Mine is a Samsung 20.5" standard width.

I just added a digital video card this past weekend and my settings went out the window but after about ten minutes of experimentation, I found one that was sharp and easy to look at.

S

Stan B

in windows based PC it can be the screen refresh rate setting ->right click on the empty desktop->properties->settings->advanced->monitor-> play with refresh rate. If you choose something that makes the screen go black - dont do anything for 15 sec it will come back to that it was before

threeputt

Stan, tried the refresh rate changes. Only 60 mhz seems to work. It won't let you do 85mhz. And 75 is even worse.

Fred, fiddled with most of the screen settings and can't seem to get it.

S

Stan B

In the same fields, lower a bit Colors Used (like 1 or 2 positions lower) & see if it will let you change refresh rate then. If it will and if refresh rate will help you probably need a better video card (with more memory on it) or add memory to your computer and let the system use some of the computer memory as video memory (it will slow the whole system a bit). Sometimes it's the resolution you choose that monitor cant support. in this case nothing will help but the another monitor

jeffr0wland

make sure you have "clear type" set in the windows display settings. That changes the anti alias, makes the type sharper

Rod

Shadow appearance in windows

threeputt said:
Got myself a new flat screen a year ago and love it. So I decided to get one for our second design station operator. But I can't seem to figure out how to get his display fixed so that the type is clearer. It appears to have a sort of "shadow" on it.

I've used the tools drop down and appearance tabs to no avail. Any ideas?

There's a Windows appearance setting that involves shadows.

1. Right-click the Windows desktop, choose Properties.
2. Click the Appearance tab.
3. Click the Effects button.
4. Remove tick from the Show shadows under menus checkbox.

I just tried removing the tick, but I'm not seeing a change. Perhaps reboot Windows?

Rod

jeffr0wland

The setting is in the display properties menu. Click on the effects button, actually its in the same menu ROD mentioned. Try with the clear type on and off. It makes some difference