• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with illustrator new file and raster settings

altereddezignz

Up until making the switch to onyx i designed mostly in illustrator and photoshop. I would create the logo in AI and then open or paste in PS to add all the effect and so on.
I have come to learn that with onyx it is better to have it all done in AI. My question is when creating a new file to design in in AI you have an option to change the raster effect from 75-150-300 or custom.

I know it doesnt matter if i am designing and using only vector items but i am guessing the higher the better setting if i am adding in shades and glows ECT....

Or is it better to just design in 72 then rasterize in the effects higher before saving or printing?

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
72 DPI will look fine if you are designing at 100% scale although I see a lot of people use 150. The only reason I see needing to go any higher is if you are designing a file that is going to be scaled up like designing at half scale and setting the DPI to 300 so that when it is blown up to full size in the RIP, it ends up being 150 DPI at 100% scale.

shoresigns

I usually design in 72 because 150/300 can cause a lot of waiting time if you're designing in full scale. Then I change it to a higher setting when I'm ready to export for printing.

altereddezignz

I usually design in 72 because 150/300 can cause a lot of waiting time if you're designing in full scale. Then I change it to a higher setting when I'm ready to export for printing.

So you using the effects and rasterizing to a higher scale. I figured i would place my template in at 720 scale and use 72 dpi. Then weh done rasterize the design to 720 so i can save and scale up by 1000 in onyx to be at full scale. Sometimes there is not room on the artboard for a fullscale.

Or make it easier design at 72 dpi at 1/10 scale then when done rasterise using the effects rasterrize to 720. Save then upscale by 1000 to make the file fullsize and at 72 dpi.

Phen i design in photoshop the file is at 720 dpi but it is on a 1/10th scale i think 1/10th i am saying it right. I just know when i save it and then open in onyx i scale up to 1000 and it is full size..

Just having issue creating a contour cut with shadows in photoshop. File is already done but think i need to redesign in illustrator so i can create the contour cut.

Sorry newb questions i know...

altereddezignz

Would there be an issue to create and do all the effects in 72 then rasterize to 720 then print?

Is there an issue with rasterizing back to 72 for modifications in the future then back to 720.

printhog

3M imaging guidelines for raster art from way back in the day: (based on human eye resolution abilities)

viewing distance file resolution

over 25 ft (billboard) 12 ppi min
10-25 ft (trailer graphics) 25 ppi min
5-10 ft (commercial signs) 50 ppi min
0-5 ft (trade show and decals) 100 ppi min

humans cant resolve much more than 1/100 of an inch on average. Surprisingly. What Is The Resolution Of The Eye? - YouTube

There is often confusion between image resolution and output resolution. Image resolution is dependent on desired viewing condition, the viewer's vision, manageable file size vs time to process design functions, and the image itself. images with sharp crisp detail need higher res, those with less detail can get by with lower res. you need to decide what each project needs based on that and set the files for that. there isn't a single fix. business cards dont design at billboard res, and car wrasp dont design at letterhead res. You dont need to waste design time in a massive file for a trailer wrap, and you also dont want decals to have jaggies.

Output resolution is what drives the smooth color transitions, the range of colors available, the density of colors, and the possibility of printer induced artifact. 450 dpi will look bad against 720 and 720 wont compare to 1440 because the cmyk process (stochastic or screen) is forced into a very limited space with bigger dots as you drop resolution. As you go up in resolution, you decrease the dot size, and that makes more colors inside the same ink gamut. Higher resolutions slow down your printer though, just like higher image resolution slows down your design process.

commercial printing (trade printers) generally suggest 300 dpi for business cards on gloss stock with UV coatings.

altereddezignz

3M imaging guidelines for raster art from way back in the day: (based on human eye resolution abilities)

viewing distance file resolution

over 25 ft (billboard) 12 ppi min
10-25 ft (trailer graphics) 25 ppi min
5-10 ft (commercial signs) 50 ppi min
0-5 ft (trade show and decals) 100 ppi min

humans cant resolve much more than 1/100 of an inch on average. Surprisingly. What Is The Resolution Of The Eye? - YouTube

There is often confusion between image resolution and output resolution. Image resolution is dependent on desired viewing condition, the viewer's vision, manageable file size vs time to process design functions, and the image itself. images with sharp crisp detail need higher res, those with less detail can get by with lower res. you need to decide what each project needs based on that and set the files for that. there isn't a single fix. business cards dont design at billboard res, and car wrasp dont design at letterhead res. You dont need to waste design time in a massive file for a trailer wrap, and you also dont want decals to have jaggies.

Output resolution is what drives the smooth color transitions, the range of colors available, the density of colors, and the possibility of printer induced artifact. 450 dpi will look bad against 720 and 720 wont compare to 1440 because the cmyk process (stochastic or screen) is forced into a very limited space with bigger dots as you drop resolution. As you go up in resolution, you decrease the dot size, and that makes more colors inside the same ink gamut. Higher resolutions slow down your printer though, just like higher image resolution slows down your design process.

commercial printing (trade printers) generally suggest 300 dpi for business cards on gloss stock with UV coatings.

Ok so after reading what i posted earlier and what you posted for me i was wrong in what i listed or actually the order i listed them in.

Basically most wraps are designed at 72 dpi min ( and this may be wrong but this is of my knowledge, im still new.) This would be things without photos and so forth. Now here is i think where i am going wrong with my question.

If i am having to go back and forth between Photoshop and illustrator realistically i cannot run 72 dpi in illustrator all the time at full scale b/c of the canvas size limits that you do not have with Photoshop.

I also cannot rasterize the file to 720 dpi b/c illustrator does not scale the size of the canvas like photoshop.

The reason i was using 72 and 720 was this is what i work with a lot for wraps and again i may not be right.

All of this may not be right. I know it is easy for me to go from photoshop at 720 and create a design then save it.
Open it in illustrator and create my cut paths and save just the cut paths in illustrator.
So i now have a cut path in illustrator and a design from photoshop.
My illustrator file now contains the cutpath and the tiff file i opened into illustrator.
I open in onyx and scale up by 1000 and i ahve a full scale file with a cut path at 72 dpi.

I know of no way to use the cut path from AI and the design from PS and have them work together in onyx.

I also do not know how to go about this the opposite way from AI to PS.
I know if i am not doing any raster effects it will not matter what dpi my file is in in AI. So i guess i could just create a design in AI off a image or over an image then copy and paste them all into the Photoshop file and do all my pretty stuff to it. Save file then move back into illustrator and open the file all together and add cut paths save and print as a eps file..

Wow i hope all this makes since. I know that if you dont have to have a cut file then the last steps are ignored.