• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with JV 3 -160

taylorfiremedic

Hi Signs 101,

I am in need of some assistance.

I have a JV3-160 running Onyx Poster Shop.

This issue is… Printer will start printing then at a random time in the print it will stop laying down ink continue moving back and forth and then pick up printing for the remainder of the file.
This is not on every print. .It’s totally random

Tech was out and thought it was dampners, replaced all.
Cleaned encoder strip.. Nope that did not fix it.
Tech then said he thought it was an Onyx issue.

Spoke with Onyx, reinstalled Onyx – Problem still occurring
Onyx then said well it might be an unstable operating system..
Installed a new computer… It is still occurring.

I look forward to hearing from everyone,

Stressed out in Michigan
:banghead:

Matt-Tastic

bad firewire cable, firewire card (in pc) or firewire board (in printer).

could be a bad/loose ribbon cable somewhere, but its data related. especially if it will print, stop and then come back. if it were an ink-related issue, it would stop printing. parastoltic pressure doesn't just magicly happen.

taylorfiremedic

Thank you for your response. I did replace the firewire, firewire card in the old computer. However, I did not replace the firewire card in the printer.

Sorry for not providing all that information in my first post.

I will have a new place to start in the morning.
Again, thank you!
:thankyou:

Rooster

One way to rule out the ONYX and force the Mimaki tech to look a little deeper would be to find a way to check out the RIP'd file that gets uploaded to the printer. If it doesn't show the mystery gaps then it's definitely the printer. Onyx must have a way to find and check this file.

Matt-Tastic

you can also send a "check pattern" to the printer in maintenance mode. this is just a block of color, but if it disappears and comes back, you know its internal to the printer, and not RIP related.

Mimaki may also have a send program to just send ripped data to the printer. you can also get a demo of Flexi and see if it does the same thing. the demo of 8.6 will watermark your image, but you can still see if the problem occurs.

Spencer McMurtry

i have the pre ripped files you can send straight to the printer to rule out the rip if your interested. send me a pm with your email.