Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with logo

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Erin, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Erin

Erin Active Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I have a new client that wants a logo but not really a logo. What they want is just the company name...no real type of logo just the name. They want it to be classy looking so that when people see it they don't feel like they are just reading the name type of thing...does that make any sense?

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea's on a certain font that would be good for something like this, something that would set the name apart from the regular text on the business card, letterhead and all that stuff. The company name is Catalst Finance.

Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Tags:
  2. whynow

whynow Verboten

Jun 22, 2005
    Serpentine Bold
    Goudy Bold
    Algerian
    Futura

3. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

Try a simple font..
    Make a slight mod...
    Ad shape...

and poof instant logo

Attached Files:

• CF.pdf
      File size:
      405 KB
      Views:
  4. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    For someone in finance, I generally think of a fairly formal serif style ... conveys formality, trustworthiness, established etc.. I would look through your fonts for larger families such as Palatino, Garamond, Caslon, Bodoni and choose what suits you. The reason for a large family is to have lots of weights with italics available for different situations.

BTW, you might want to check the spelling of Catalst. Sounds like you meant catalyst.

5. Erin

Erin Active Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks everyone...that should get me started.

And you are right Fred...it was a typo on my part. Thanks!

6. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    If you are willing to spend some money (charge the customer) you should check out...
    http://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.home

Click on the links for sans, serif, etc. They list some new/popular ones on the right column

They have a lot of the fonts that are quite unique. Look for something other than the old standbys: Futura, Garamond, Palatino, Franklin Gothic, Optima. Those are nice fonts, but they are everywhere. Unless you/they don't want to spend the money, you should check this site out. And you can typeset and preview the various fonts - try before you buy.

Whatever you do, try to avoid any font that comes standard with Windows/Macs. They are overused.

7. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    One more thing from that site...
    http://www.fontshop.com/features/free.cfm

They offer one free mac/win ps/ttf each month. Very good stuff, nothing ugly or common. I urge everyone to bookmark this to add fonts to your collection.