• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help with my dad

1leonchen

so my father wants me to make a logo for him. simple right. he wants (CAS) for his logo. i have done a bunch of splicing letters and vectors. but he is not happy. so i dont usually do this but please help. i want to just make it and give him please. i dont know if its worth your time to do any quick mock up for me. i will buy dinner or a few rounds. i want him to be happy. i have been on and off at this for a while. please help

admin feel free to move this tread

TXFB.INS

have him draw some ideas that he likes, this will give you an idea of the different visual points he likes/wants then you can design from there

iSign

I didn't check out 704's one, but I agree with TXFB in that you can make this thread a chance to learn about the consultation part that is at least half the battle in selling graphic design work.

People here can take wild stabs in the dark just like you can, and we all know there's some kick *** design talent here, so no doubt you could have some nice ideas to look at here...

...but by a great margin, I think the best value that could come from this inquiry is for you to get some feedback from your dad & then work through revisions by posting your logos along the way, & trying out ideas others offer you

what line of work? what's CAS? Computer aided sign making?

lot's more questions I would ask, like what purpose does he have in mind for the art? to send what impression? to whom?

Marlene

I didn't check out 704's one, but I agree with TXFB in that you can make this thread a chance to learn about the consultation part that is at least half the battle in selling graphic design work.

People here can take wild stabs in the dark just like you can, and we all know there's some kick *** design talent here, so no doubt you could have some nice ideas to look at here...

...but by a great margin, I think the best value that could come from this inquiry is for you to get some feedback from your dad & then work through revisions by posting your logos along the way, & trying out ideas others offer you

lot's more questions I would ask, like what purpose does he have in mind for the art? to send what impression? to whom?​

this is great advice. when you've shown him your ideas what was his feed back? why didn't he like it? ask him questions. don't ask what he likes so much as ask him what does he want to tell people with this logo meaning does he want people to feel modern, vintage, serious, casual, professional, friendly, stuff like that so you can get a feel of the style.

1leonchen

this is the last set i did. i have done a bunch of bevels and shadows. he is not a bevel person. he likes simple. saving a low res jpeg on this site is not helping.

Attachments

• DAD.jpg
    DAD.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 120

1leonchen

+1

If he's not happy with what you've come up with, it may be due to the fact that you didn't go through the proper steps to creating a logo. I'm no logo design guru but I know enough to know that someone couldn't possibly come up with any good ideas given the lack of information you've provided.

Not being a smart-a$$....just saying. If you provide some more info as to what he does, what CAS stands for, who his audience is, examples of logos or "looks" that he likes.....I bet you'll get some great answers.

:thumb:

it stands for central auto services

1leonchen

lot's more questions I would ask, like what purpose does he have in mind for the art? to send what impression? to whom?

it stands for Central Auto Services. he is a mechanic by trade and a damn good one rebuild a engine in three hours. he used to do racing cars but stop. he does small fleets of company vehicle. and some personal vehicles. there is not a car i cant see him fix. i also asked him to draw some ting. no luck

1leonchen

this is great advice. when you've shown him your ideas what was his feed back? why didn't he like it? ask him questions. don't ask what he likes so much as ask him what does he want to tell people with this logo meaning does he want people to feel modern, vintage, serious, casual, professional, friendly, stuff like that so you can get a feel of the style.

he says no, no, don't like try again.

Marlene

your idea of keeping it simple isn't a bad idea. I do agree with your dad that none of the ideas you have so far are very good. that is good news as it would be harder if they were really nice, well done and then he hated them. the top one isn't horrid but he colors are as is the font. try looking online at logos that have just simple letters as a logo to get a feel for it. letters need to work together and a good example of them not is the bottom idea you have. it reads OOIS. keep on trying as we have seen some stuff go from bad to outstanding with the help of members

shoresigns

If you're doing a text-based logo, I would start by showing the customer a "classy" serif font, a "modern" sans-serif font and then maybe a retro 60s/70s style font. Most people don't know anything about typography, but when you explain in plain English how people will perceive their business in a few of the major font types, you'll narrow down the options very fast.

1leonchen

your idea of keeping it simple isn't a bad idea. I do agree with your dad that none of the ideas you have so far are very good. that is good news as it would be harder if they were really nice, well done and then he hated them. the top one isn't horrid but he colors are as is the font. try looking online at logos that have just simple letters as a logo to get a feel for it. letters need to work together and a good example of them not is the bottom idea you have. it reads OOIS. keep on trying as we have seen some stuff go from bad to outstanding with the help of members

ok thanks for the pointers. i will do it over the weekend. got to get some other stuff done. thanks again