• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with pricing for 4'x6' Illuminated Sign Cabinet, install only.

Wraptrick

Hey all,

I've never installed one of these, but I'm sure I can do it... only issue I'm having is trying to figure out what the going rate is on installing a sign cabinet. Wall is concrete and outside, wiring will be pre-run. Just have to install the can and graphic. How much should this cost? It won't be hard for me at all, but I don't want to give it away... any advice?

Thanks!

Malkin

Simple answer is your hourly rate x number of hours + cost of permit fee's and hardware.

Wraptrick

What about the hard answer?

My problem is that I don't think it will take me much time at all. I don't generally charge by the time a job takes, but rather what the job is worth.

mbarden

How high up in the air? How are you planning on attaching this to the concrete wall? Have you applied for the permit? Do you know what the permitting process is? Are you a licensed installer within the town or metro area that this will be installed? What is your hourly labor rate?
MB

Wraptrick

It's going about 10' off the ground on a concrete wall. Hanging it with Lag Shield anchors and bolts. All the permits are taken care of. I generally charge $50/hr, but I hardly ever break it down by the time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This kinda stuff is just becoming so common, I just laugh now, instead of giving any good advice.

Here's a guy who has never put an electric sign up, let alone 10' in the air. Sure, it can't be too rough he says, it should be a snap. Wants to get paid near or about what a real professional would get for this, but not have any of the correct insurances needed, proper knowledge of the type of installation and is going to work on something that legally he didn't get a permit to do and probalby doesn't even have a license to perform.

Why don't you just go to Home Depot and hire one or two guys on the lot to do it for ya ?? They'll probably know as much as you and will be dirt cheap. Then ya can make some real profit. Pay them each $8.00 a piece for an hours worth of work and you get to keep $34.00 for doing nothing, which is what you should be doing..... nothing.

Wraptrick

Oh, wow. Way to keep it classy, Gino. First of all, I never said I didn't know how to put something like this up, I've put up a million other things just like it, and wired together a million more. I'm no newbie, and I don't appreciate you coming at me like that. I had a simple question about pricing, in a pricing forum. I apologize for pulling the trigger on your crazy guy gun, dick.

Mosh

$1,000

Let me guess from your name that you just bought a printer to do wraps, cause
someone charged you too much so now you are in the sign biz.

Is it a UL listed sign? Do you even know what that means???

What kind of service truck do you have? Boom, Bucket, Ladder-truck?

Concrete block, Stucco, faux stucco, cast concrete...lots of types of
concrete walls.

How deep are the returns?

Is it an extruded cabinet or a break formed one?

BANG, I pulled the Mosh Trigger!!!

Wraptrick

Wow, so quick to judge. Forgive me for wanting to get some quality advice from some sign "professionals". You know nothing about me, or the business I conduct. I am well aware of what UL means. I wasn't inquiring for a lesson.

Mosh

$1,000

Let me guess from your name that you just bought a printer to do wraps, cause
someone charged you too much so now you are in the sign biz.

Is it a UL listed sign? Do you even know what that means???

What kind of service truck do you have? Boom, Bucket, Ladder-truck?

Concrete block, Stucco, faux stucco, cast concrete...lots of types of
concrete walls.

How deep are the returns?

Is it an extruded cabinet or a break formed one?

BANG, I pulled the Mosh Trigger!!!

Answer these and I will give you a quote.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I could give two sh!ts about keeping your thread classy or not. It's the industry that I worry about.

For the life of me.......
  • Do you know how irritating and completely stoopid you sound asking how much to charge for something you aren't qualified to do ??
  • Do you know how many people have been licensed and know how to do this without asking how much ??
  • Do you even realize you are probably breaking the law ??
  • Do you know how many threads are here at s101 about sign installations that have gone bad and 95% of them revolve around electric signs ??
  • Do you know how puny you sound bellyaching about having people care enough to give you advice you've evidently overlooked, simply cause you THINK you know ??
  • Do you even care that you could be giving this industry a blackeye with your stoopidness ??
  • Does it ever occur to any of you newbies you should learn how to do things first and then try to do some of these harebrained schemes of yours ??
  • If you can't answer the easy questions by mush, then I'd suggest just keeping your stoopidness to yourself and don't bring attention to yourself that you're breaking the law..... and could possibly kill someone in the process down the road.

Besides, where did I call you names or degrade you ?? You kind son are the one turning this classy act of yours upside down. :ROFLMAO:

Wraptrick

It's not that I cannot answer the questions, but rather I'm not on trial for anything here, and did not intend to get into a conversation about anything other than what I was seeking. I don't need help putting up a sign like this, I know how to do it. I am new as a business, not an installer. I was simply trying to figure out what a sign such as this goes for. I'll wait until I'm not so puny before I come in here and ask you any more questions, ok?

Btw, no laws are being broken, all insurance is present, all permits are being pulled. It's information that is just not relevant to my question.

k.a.s.

If your just hanging the cabinet and installing the face with a bucket truck I'd be around $400.00.

Kevin

k.a.s.

It's not that I cannot answer the questions, but rather I'm not on trial for anything here, and did not intend to get into a conversation about anything other than what I was seeking. I don't need help putting up a sign like this, I know how to do it. I am new as a business, not an installer. I was simply trying to figure out what a sign such as this goes for. I'll wait until I'm not so puny before I come in here and ask you any more questions, ok?

Btw, no laws are being broken, all insurance is present, all permits are being pulled. It's information that is just not relevant to my question.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Exactly my job is not to micro manage your job. Some here believe that is their calling.

Kevin

Pat Whatley

Simple install, extruded aluminum cabinet, 10' high....I'd charge $350 and NOT connect the electrical. I'm licensed and insured for installing the cabinet, not for the electrical. Locally a certified electrician is required. They can make the final connections themselves after I'm gone, hire an electrician, or I'll hire an electrician for them and add the cost to the bill.

There's not a lot to actually affixing the cabinet to the wall, you're not charging based on how long it takes you. You're charging whatever the customer is willing to pay for the convenience of not having to do it themselves.

fresh

If your just hanging the cabinet and installing the face with a bucket truck I'd be around $400.00.

Kevin

We would probably charge $500... we have learned that nothing is ever as easy as it appears. Also, it takes time to prep, you have to make sure you have all of your fasteners (and then run to the store to get something different because of the 8 options in your bucket, none of them will actually work,) charge up your drill, load up you truck, etc. Also, we don't really like doing jobs like this, so we price them high. If someone is willing to pay us enough to doing a pita job, we'll do it!