• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help With Printing

MPL5567

I Am Lettering A Boat In A Few Days With A Design That I Printed. I Do Not Have A Laminator. I Know That It Will Probably Not Hold Up In The Salt Water. I Plan On Using Clear Jet And Seal It Pen. Should I Wait Tp Spray It With Clear Jet After It Is On The Boat, Or Can I Spray It Let It Dry And Then Mask It.

Can Anyone Steer Me In The Right Direction?

Thanks
Matt

chopper

what I have done in the past is clearcoat with automotive clear,
this works really well, I think that the clear jet will be ok but not as good as automotive clear, what you do is spray it before you weed it,( if you weed before you clear the clear gets all over the backing paper and makes a hell of a mess) let the clear tack up and then weed it before the clear dries, if the clear dries it some times causes the part to be weed out to stick to the graphic and makes a big mess it also makes the graphic very soft so you have to be carefull not to streach the graphic when weeding, I think the automotive clear is better than a laminate, but that is just my opion, but now we do both laminate and clearcoat.//chopper

chopper

Spray it first then apply to the boat, I never heard of anyone laminating once its applyed to any substrate
I am not trying to argue but I have done this many times we have printed graphics for 4x10 signs scuffed the substrate, applied graphics, and the cleared them with automotive clearcoat, you will be amazed by how rich this makes the sign look with very little work,//chopper

MPL5567

what I have done in the past is clearcoat with automotive clear,
this works really well, I think that the clear jet will be ok but not as good as automotive clear, what you do is spray it before you weed it,( if you weed before you clear the clear gets all over the backing paper and makes a hell of a mess) let the clear tack up and then weed it before the clear dries, if the clear dries it some times causes the part to be weed out to stick to the graphic and makes a big mess it also makes the graphic very soft so you have to be carefull not to streach the graphic when weeding, I think the automotive clear is better than a laminate, but that is just my opion, but now we do both laminate and clearcoat.//chopper

what you just told me i did the opposite, i already weeded it and sprayed it...i probably should just reprint it let it dry then spray it. then weed it. i let the clear coat dry for a little bit right?

i need to get a laminator

MPL5567

I am not trying to argue but I have done this many times we have printed graphics for 4x10 signs scuffed the substrate, applied graphics, and the cleared them with automotive clearcoat, you will be amazed by how rich this makes the sign look with very little work,//chopper

so it is possible to clear coat it after i already apply it to the boat??

chopper

that is what I would do are they just registration numbers? or is it a big graphic? if it is jut reg numbers I would just reprint the if it is large but not to complex you could try to clean the clear off of the backing paper with denatured alchol and a paper towell //chopper

MPL5567

that is what I would do are they just registration numbers? or is it a big graphic? if it is jut reg numbers I would just reprint the if it is large but not to complex you could try to clean the clear off of the backing paper with denatured alchol and a paper towell //chopper

its a big graphic....ill try cleaning it...its for a good friend so im doing it next to nothing and its for me toget some practice im new to all this

chopper

so it is possible to clear coat it after i already apply it to the boat??
shure you can but it may not be worth the effort,you would need to mask off the side of the boat from the graphic to do it.. unless you want to clear coat the whole side of the boat, //chopper as per your other post yeha you will need to let it dry before you can mask it overnight wooks good depending on how heavy you spray the clear on..

MPL5567

shure you can but it may not be worth the effort,you would need to mask off the side of the boat from the graphic to do it.. unless you want to clear coat the whole side of the boat, //chopper

no thanks on clear coating the side of the boat....to much work...ill see how it goes and take some pics and post them...this is my first big job