• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with profile for clear vinyl with latex ink

Eggleston

I am a new owner of an HP 335 print and cut. We are printing black text on clear Orajet 3620 and there was not a built in profile in HP's database. I chose Orajet 3640g as the profile as it seemed like a close match.

After printing it appears that the black is translucent and not very opaque. Is there a way for me to change the profile or use a different profile that will saturate it more so that it's more opaque?

What should I change that saturation to? Right now it's at 10p 110 saturation. I believe my tech said every 10 increased in saturation I need to increase the passes by two.

Sorry for the amateur question but I have a lot of learning to do! Thanks for being such a helpful community.

Like most ink chemistries used in outdoor durable graphics, HP Latex inks are fairly translucent in the absence of a fairly opaque backing, which is typically white. You can put higher ink density on transparent media in order to gain a bit more opacity - something between 150 and 200 percent density ink would be the effective upper end limit for ink volume on calendared vinyl film.

Use a surrogate media preset to test. There is a 200-percent ink density print mode on the HP Media Locator for 3M IJ3630, and a 150-percent ink print mode for 3M IJ8150C.
https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

A printer with white ink would be able to put a white under base beneath the colored inks, to provide a platform to improve the optical density of the colored inks. The attached image shows the same image printed without and with a white under base on a clear SAV film.

Attachments

• BoomBoom.jpg
    BoomBoom.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 211

Eggleston

Like most ink chemistries used in outdoor durable graphics, HP Latex inks are fairly translucent in the absence of a fairly opaque backing, which is typically white. You can put higher ink density on transparent media in order to gain a bit more opacity - something between 150 and 200 percent density ink would be the effective upper end limit for ink volume on calendared vinyl film.

Use a surrogate media preset to test. There is a 200-percent ink density print mode on the HP Media Locator for 3M IJ3630, and a 150-percent ink print mode for 3M IJ8150C.
https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

A printer with white ink would be able to put a white under base beneath the colored inks, to provide a platform to improve the optical density of the colored inks. The attached image shows the same image printed without and with a white under base on a clear SAV film.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I knew that the absence of white ink is a big issue. I thought about trying one of the hp media profiles but was worried about screwing something up.

Reveal1

P Wagner correct; although we use Avery 2050 translucent profile as base for all clear and translucent. Built a 20 pass mode at 200% ink.