Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with profile for clear vinyl with latex ink

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Eggleston, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Eggleston

Eggleston New Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Texas
    I am a new owner of an HP 335 print and cut. We are printing black text on clear Orajet 3620 and there was not a built in profile in HP's database. I chose Orajet 3640g as the profile as it seemed like a close match.

After printing it appears that the black is translucent and not very opaque. Is there a way for me to change the profile or use a different profile that will saturate it more so that it's more opaque?

What should I change that saturation to? Right now it's at 10p 110 saturation. I believe my tech said every 10 increased in saturation I need to increase the passes by two.

Sorry for the amateur question but I have a lot of learning to do! Thanks for being such a helpful community.

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Like most ink chemistries used in outdoor durable graphics, HP Latex inks are fairly translucent in the absence of a fairly opaque backing, which is typically white. You can put higher ink density on transparent media in order to gain a bit more opacity - something between 150 and 200 percent density ink would be the effective upper end limit for ink volume on calendared vinyl film.

Use a surrogate media preset to test. There is a 200-percent ink density print mode on the HP Media Locator for 3M IJ3630, and a 150-percent ink print mode for 3M IJ8150C.
    https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

A printer with white ink would be able to put a white under base beneath the colored inks, to provide a platform to improve the optical density of the colored inks. The attached image shows the same image printed without and with a white under base on a clear SAV film.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Eggleston

Eggleston New Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I knew that the absence of white ink is a big issue. I thought about trying one of the hp media profiles but was worried about screwing something up.

4. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    P Wagner correct; although we use Avery 2050 translucent profile as base for all clear and translucent. Built a 20 pass mode at 200% ink.