• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with seams on a cargo van

tiredcreations

Working on a Ford E350 extended van. I laid it out for a horizontal seam close to the bottom. Normally I do vertical but after reading a bit I thought I'd give the horizontal seam a shot. My question is about getting the panels to line up exactly when installed. We need to install the bottom panel first so the top overlaps it, correct? I've always installed from the top down (without seams) pulling the backing paper off as I go & letting gravity help. Now, if I dry fit everything and install the bottom piece first, what are the chances that everything lines up again once the top piece is laid down? My thought is not very good with all the contours & creases in the van.
I don't do a lot of wrapping so I have a feeling I'm missing something.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I'm a bit out of the wrapping game, but when I was doing them, this was not the best method. I'm sure it can be done, but vertical seams are ideal in any installation situation. Unless it's a box van, and you have a few people helping out, that's a lot of vinyl to run horizontally.

rdm01

I'd never attempt horizontal unless you could get it in one panel. If multiple panels are needed it should be done vertical, starting at the back and working forward.

tiredcreations

I'd never attempt horizontal unless you could get it in one panel. If multiple panels are needed it should be done vertical, starting at the back and working forward.

Huh, that's how I've always done it but I came across a few conversations where guys swear by horizontal seams.
Put them low on the vehicle and it's out of eye level and looks much better. Made sense to me, but no technique was shared.

rdm01

I've done horizontal seams on things other than vehicles and they are tough enough to get good alignment. I'd imagine contours, even those as simple as a cargo van, would add even more frustration.

Perhaps there are others here who have used horizontal panels with success.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Do the seam on the table. you can tape it down and preseam it in the shop. Then you have one piece to work with. That is how I would do it. In fact that is how I do both rear doors on a van. Makes it really easy to lineup. Or install the top first and seal the seam with lam or something

myront

CorelDRAW is best
First and foremost don't seam unless absolutely necessary. We print in as many sections as possible i.e. doors etc. Vertical seams only unless no choice. Also don't forget that a section printed horizontally will be out from a print that was rotated 90deg.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
First and foremost don't seam unless absolutely necessary. We print in as many sections as possible i.e. doors etc. Vertical seams only unless no choice. Also don't forget that a section printed horizontally will be out from a print that was rotated 90deg.

Unless you found 6'+ wide vinyl & Lam, You can't wrap a van seamless.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I've done "few" horizontal wraps on vans. Bottom first is the way to go, but yes, you have more work and "triangles" getting them to align. You have to practically squeegee from the bottom of the top panel up if you want to reduce the alignment...and that's just not fun.

HulkSmash

Huh, that's how I've always done it but I came across a few conversations where guys swear by horizontal seams.
Put them low on the vehicle and it's out of eye level and looks much better. Made sense to me, but no technique was shared.

that was some awful advice. Do not do horizontal seams.

ExecuPrintGS

Do the seam on the table. you can tape it down and preseam it in the shop. Then you have one piece to work with. That is how I would do it. In fact that is how I do both rear doors on a van. Makes it really easy to lineup. Or install the top first and seal the seam with lam or something

This is how i would do it if i was going to do a horizontal seam. Seam it on your production table, now your seam is perfect and you have 1 large print to go live with on the vehicle.

Charlie J

Do this.