• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with setting up cut after printing on SP300

deep six

Hi All

Finally got myself a printer after much scrounging and saving. Should have done this years ago I thought to myself.

My new (used) SP300 was delivered a couple of weeks ago. I spent the first week making a dust proof room in my garage to house the thing and hopefully keep it happy. Spent the second week scouring through the user manual finding how it all works. Mind you I'm not sure if I have the right manual for the machine and the color rip software as the machine did not come with these and I downloaded copies from the Roland site.

My problem, or at least my current problem, is getting the printer to cut after the media has been printed, removed and laminated then put back in. I understand you have to print crop marks and somehow the printer will see these and cut accordingly but the instruction set I have is so vague I just cant get the gist of it. Running color rip ver 2.0 upgraded to 2.2

Really have tried to work this one out myself but after much head scratching and searching through the manual and online I have come to an impass.

Would appreciate it if someone could help or point me in the direction of some instructions.

Thanks in advance!!

Rickey J

You can update to the new Versaworks...much easier to run than ColorRip...better too.
Actuall if you are using a SP-300 you can only use the colorrip that the machine comes with. When roland first came out with the printer they had a contrat with wasatch which is a rip software to run the roland printers. Then roland got smart and made there own which is now Versaworks. If you notice the newer SP printer have a "V" after the model for Versaworks (ie SP-300V, SP-540V and so on). Now you can use third party design and rip software if you would like such as Flexi,Signlab or Onyx. If there is anything else you need to know about the machine you can pm me anytime. :thumb: Good Luck.

Sorry RickeyJ but you are wrong- We DO upgrade many SP300 and SC540 models to the newest Versaworks, it's much easier for the end user to operate than ColorRIp. If there's anything you would like to know about Roland Printers you may PM me as well.

deep six

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your help and input. The tech that installed my printer told me I could upgrade to Versaworks but would need a dongle.
At the moment I would be happy just to get the thing working right. I could always upgrade a bit later on when I start punching some jobs out I guess.

Oh by the way, any suggestions where to get ink. I'm almost out of magenta. Plus my tech guy said I need to get a cleaning kit.

Cleaning kit: Swabs (not Q-tips!) Cleaning solvent (from the cartridge...open and cut the bag inside)... and get a syringe...useful to draw ink when you may need. I hope the tech showed you how to properly clean ..ie: your weekly maintenance cleaning, etc...

deep six

Ahhh, swabs, not sure what you mean there. Solvent from the cartridge, not sure on that either. I was guessing you can buy a cleaning kit that comes with these things. Just doing a quick search I found a maintenance kit which sounds like the same thing.

My tech guy didn't run me through the cleaning process. He did however tell me I could call him if I had any problems and said he would swing by in the next couple of weeks to see how I was going.
Can you refer me to an instruction sheet on weekly cleaning?? that sounds like something I should be doing right about now.

Rickey J

Sorry RickeyJ but you are wrong- We DO upgrade many SP300 and SC540 models to the newest Versaworks, it's much easier for the end user to operate than ColorRIp. If there's anything you would like to know about Roland Printers you may PM me as well.

Easy there Pacific Coast Signs! I have always been told you can't use Versasworks with the SP-300's, by my rep and the factory. And if you go back and do a search this subject had been discussed and agreed upon you can't use versaworks with the older sp-300's.