Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Summa D60 SE and OPOS registration

Discussion in 'Summa' started by signdude, Jan 5, 2007.

1. signdude

signdude New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Hello,

Total newbie here. Cutting out small decals with the Summa using the registration marks and the OPOS. Using Illustrator to print and the bundled Winplot software to cut.

For some reason, the cuts are not aligned with the OPOS origin marker. They are offset by about 1/2" in the Y axis and 1/8" in the X axis. The cutter does go and correctly senses each of the registration markers. What am I doing wrong? Right now I am compensating with my contour file and shifting everything up and over a bit, but this is obviously a clumsy solution.

Why is everything offset? Do I need to do something special to the contour file? Also, the cutter cuts out the registration markers which seems odd. Is it supposed to do that? How can I turn that off?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Most likely the actual print is slightly different in both directions than the logical print in your software. Then, when the plotter senses the registration marks, it's not doing anything with that information or doing too much. Once the registration marks are sensed the plotter either has to send this information to the software driving the plotter so that the logical points can be mapped to physical points or the plotter may do the mapping internally.

This is either the software or the plotter, not both. If both do it, any compensation required to map the logical points to the physical points will be twice what they are supposed to be. If neither does it, the cut will be off an amount representing the difference in X and Y motion between the two machines.

The time where this would not be the case would be if both the printer and the plotter exhibited exactly the same tracking characteristics. In other words if n inches in both the X and Y directions were exactly the same on both machines. Trust me, they're not the same.

3. signdude

signdude New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Bob,

I appreciate your response, but I'm not sure what the proper remedy is. The logical print and physical print do appear to be the same apart from the origin shift, because once I shift the contour file's origin everything works fine. In other words, the cuts are correct, the only problem is the origin shift.

Also, does anyone have any info for me on the registration marks being cut out? Is this supposed to happen? If not, how do I make it stop?

4. FlambeauMan

FlambeauMan New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    I don't use the same machine, but I've had to run the check camera offset function before. That caused my dieline to be off. Don't know about cutting out the dots. Just a thought.

5. FlambeauMan

FlambeauMan New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Are the decals laminated? could be some wierd stretch going on also.

6. signdude

signdude New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    As it turns out this was all caused by some kind of problem with the machine that required a full factory reset to correct. Thank you all for your help.