• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

help with tape hinges

DizzyMarkus

Howdy --

Trying to make the switch to all dry application. Well tonite I decided to try a 14" x 70" rectangle -- :omg: -- All went well except there seems to be a light tape line left after removing the transfer tape.I am applying side to side, so I do the left, untape and do the right. Sometimes the line is more noticeable than other. I also seem to get very very small spots (not to many) that appear as if something is under the vinyl, more tented than bubble. Using Oracal 651.

thanks for all the suggestions and comments,
Markus

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Are you cutting the backer away at the hinge?
If you are the small dots are most likely specs from the edge of the cut paper backing.
I usually run my fingers down the cut paper to brush them out of the way before laying down the vinyl.
On the small tape line, when you do the second side, pull up the squeegeed vinyl a little past the hinge and then continue on from there.
Also on the first side you don't have to squeegee all the way right up against the hinge leave a little gap and catch it when you hit the second side.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Mosh

Make sure the hinge tape is NOT on the film, ONLY on the app tape. I leave an inch or so lead before the vinyl. I bet the bubbles are in a line where the tape was right? BTW any small bubbles go away in a day or two depending on how warm it is, the warmer the better. Dry app is the ONLY way to go (99% of the time)

I would think the bubbles would be where the cut in the liner is rather than at the tape hinge. I used to get those a lot when I first started applying vinyl dry. Now I just use a very sharp scissors or an Avery cutter to slice the backing at least 2-3 inches away from the tape hinge. No more fuzzies. No more line of bubbles. Also, switching to a solid felt squeegee helped tremendously. I use a felt squeegee for 100% of my applications now, then follow with a soft yellow Oracal squeegee. Before applying the second half, just start slowly around that cut area with firm pressure then progress from there. I also peel the masking tape hinge off of the transfer tape before applying the second half which is helpful as well. It's sometimes easiest to tear it from the middle and peel it out toward the edges to avoid tearing the transfer tape.

MikePro

its where you're hinging. the action of the squeegee is "jumping-down" from the +mm thickness of the tape to the masked vinyl and slightly stretching and pressing down a thin line of air that gets mashed into a million tiny imperfections.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you guys --Good to know I'm on the right track as others have done lol

GAC05-- Yes I roll over and peel the backer to the tape, slice the backer off with a sharp exacto (upside down riding finger) then squeegie (hard orange plastic) ---remove tape hinge and complete the other side. Experience I am hopeing will get me there :0)

MOSH-- I actually cut the overage off before applying -- I usually have not put the tape where a letter or blank spot wasnt, only this ones a full rectangle. Theres no "bubbles" per say as I believe its small particles under -- even after cleaning etc. Plus its gloss black lol.

jsmoritz2000-- I think you have it, it's not actually where the hinge is -- its where I cut the backer off yes. I tried the "ogee" felt and really didnt like it -- will experiment yet. :thumb:

MikePro-- Definatly in this area I need some work -- I have been weetting forever, listening to most of you -- I wanted to start dry application -- I should have done this along time ago hehe

Thank you,
Will try again -- sucks 6' at a time lol

Markus

CP Signs

Many many mokns ago when I first started working in a sign shop, they were small town with no experience and didn't know about wet app. So about 20 years ago I learned dry app and never looked back.

ddubia

Something else that happens is that if you have masking tape running over the vinyl and squeege over top of that tape it will leave a texture on the vinyl where the tape was.

I usually squeege before the tape on one side of the hinge then pull the tape off to do the other side to avoid going over top the tape.

MikePro

book-hinging is nice, but too many headaches... paper crud in the adhesive being one of them. cut and fold 1-2" of it back next time, so that only the non-stick surface is allowed to touch the vinyl.

DizzyMarkus

Howdy,
I'm finding if I stop short of the tape its less-- experience will get the rest I am sure lol. Not swiping right up to the paper cut seems to helped.

thank you guys a ton,
Markus

MikePro

I'm a felt squeegee man, myself.
...the rectangular ones, not the plastic squeegees with felt tape on them.

vinyl jedi

after you cut the backing fold the paper back a couple inches, stops those little particles aka "bricks" from the cut getting in there.

gabagoo

Sounds like you've already been given some good advice...... but I want to fill you in on a little secret. I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend this on here and to be honest I have no idea how we discovered it....but it totally changed the way we apply graphics dry. Anything in house gets done on the laminator...but when doing vehicles or on site installs this is all I use for dry apps. By far the best tool in the whole shop as far as installing vinyl is concerned.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Deluxe-4-Inch-Rubber-Brayer/dp/B000BYVMFC/ref=pd_sim_ac_2

You can thank me later :)

so Pat you saying that roller works better than a squeege?