• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help!

Colin

I'm attempting to print a PDF file which came from a high-end design firm. It is sized at half the actual size, so I'm simply setting the size at 200% in VersaWorks. Print size is 46" x 240".

The problem is, the file shows some weird 3/16" spaces separating the image about 3 times (as shown). These do not appear in Adobe Acrobat or Reader, nor in Illustrator when I open the PDF there. I did a test print and the spaces print out.

Why is this happening? Is there some sort of page size thing going on?

Attachments

• Space.jpg
    Space.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 61

Colin

I've just now saved the PDF file from Illy as an EPS and it seems to look ok in VW, but I'd sure like to know why those spaces appeared.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like it is a raster file that has been broken down into blocks when exported and the borders between the blocks are showing up at the larger size.

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What you posted does not look vector.
It may be vector in the native file but export or Vworks import is turning it into a low rez bitmap by the looks of the stair stepping on the text.
(edit)
Unless you are posting the lowrez preview header image.

wayne k
guam usa

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So do the lines show in the print or just the preview?
AI files on export will rasterize and break into blocks elements that are vector or even large bitmaps. They show up in corel or flexi lined up with no gap but I have run into some that display a one or 2 pixel gap. With rounding errors on resize that gap can end up in the print.
If it is just in the preview I'd run a cropped test and go from there.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

Colin

Update:

I just had this occur again with a PDF file which was larger than the media width. When rotated within VW, the clipping remained. Steve from Roland just solved the problem for me; if you simply click on: Job Settings > Clip and Tile > click "Number of Tiles" on. This solves the problem.

The issue is that VW maintains the "page size" of a PDF, and maintains the "file size" with an EPS, which is why this doesn't occur when rotating an EPS within VW.

Hope this helps anybody else.....