• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

here we go again... EDGE ISSUE

theKING

Went to use the Gerber Edge. Running a 3 color job about 6 feet long with Purple, black and grey foils. Purple prints first and runs fine. Next is black. Black foil starts to print then stops right away... error message states "check foil". I have checked and reloaded this foil 100 different ways and it is loaded fine. Have you ever run across this problem? the foil I am using is a gerber cartridge. It appears to have a 100 yd roll in it. Once I got this error and could not correct it I tried loading other foils to see if it would print and it stays stuck on check foil... checked the temp and it was ok... Any suggestions?

I really need to get this job out in time!! UGG!

I used an edge for about 10 years at my other job and it worked flawlessly all that time.
I have never run across this.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
One would suspect that it's the black foil jamming but if other foils do the same thing then either your vinyl is jamming or the issue is in communication with your GSPPlot and the Edge. There are a few suggestions I can make in the order I would try them.

1. Save the job from GSPPlot as a SPL file and then run it from the spooler.

2. Save the job with a different name in Composer and the output it again to GSPPlot then resend it to the Edge.

3. Try changing the print order of your foils. I always setup my spot color jobs to start with the lightest color and finish with the darkest.

4. Home the Edge before you send the job and then send just one color at a time ... rehoming it for each color.

I don't understand your foil description. Gerber does not sell 100 yard cartridges and warn against their use. Is this an aftermarket refill in a Gerber cartridge? 100 yard refills definitely will put a strain on your Edge's color to color registration and are also harder on the foil clutches.

theKING

Ok.. tried running the job again this morning with same result... So I loaded the SPL file in GSplot and ran it from there.. Changed the order of the foils and started with the BLACK which it always froze on with the "check foil" error... (didnt want to waste other colors) Black foil ran fine. Next was the purple which ran fine. Third and final color was light grey which is a 55yrd roll of gerber. Froze with the "check foil" error...

so... it has happened to a foil that worked perfectly before... and the foil that was giving me issues worked fine when printed first so I do not think it is the foils. Vinyl is brand new and is running through machine fine.

suggestions?

signage

Did you try the spool file suggestion?

Also what version of Omega?

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Reboot both machines to start out, sounds like it isn't the foil that's causing the issue if it happens with different foils. I have never had this issue before on my Edge, just foil issues from it pulling more on one side than the other. Maybe your sensor that reads the foil cartridge is going bad or dirty? (hence the check foil error?)

At least it's only a 6' long job... the long jobs with multiple colors can be expensive when you have a foil problem.

theKING

I saved the file from the GSPLOT window as a spool file... then I closed the program down- Opened the spool file from gsplot.. not Omega. ran it from there.. is that what you mean by "run it from the spooler"?

running Omega 2.1

I have operated and run an Edge for over 10 years at a sign shop and never had ONE issue EVER. Now that I have my own machine and work for myself I cant complete one job. the definition of a business owner?? lol

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might want to check the job in Composer in the 1234 dialog to make sure there isn't anything there that shouldn't be there.

Also, check the Rainbow Sentinel driver to insure that the only port marked "Yes" is the one being used by your dongle. Also check your hardware settings for the LPT port being used by your Edge. It should be set to ECP.

theKING

lso check your hardware settings for the LPT port being used by your Edge. It should be set to ECP.

ECP? Where do I check that?

Should I be looking at a sensor somewhere and maybe cleaning it? the machine sat for about 6 months... doesnt explain why some foils will run but then stop.. but.. I am lost.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
ECP? Where do I check that?

Should I be looking at a sensor somewhere and maybe cleaning it? the machine sat for about 6 months... doesnt explain why some foils will run but then stop.. but.. I am lost.

The LPT port settings are accessed through the BIOS when you boot up your computer.

What model Edge are you running? How old is it? Is there any apparent damage to the foil when it gives you the error?

Are you using old or non-Gerber foils?

theKING

The LPT port settings are accessed through the BIOS when you boot up your computer.

What model Edge are you running? How old is it? Is there any apparent damage to the foil when it gives you the error?

Are you using old or non-Gerber foils?

running the original Edge... not the side opening version but the second generation of the original. No damage to the foils at all... Gerber foils....

Just ran the job again only this time I ran half of it... little over 3 feet. All foils ran fine. Before running it I un-installed the Edge and re-installed it in gsp-mgr... is it a communication issue? Should I be cleaning a sensor somewhere? or oiling something? It looks very clean.. no dust at all.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
running the original Edge... not the side opening version but the second generation of the original. No damage to the foils at all... Gerber foils....

Just ran the job again only this time I ran half of it... little over 3 feet. All foils ran fine. Before running it I un-installed the Edge and re-installed it in gsp-mgr... is it a communication issue? Should I be cleaning a sensor somewhere? or oiling something? It looks very clean.. no dust at all.

That Edge is called an Edge LE for future reference. I've had an Edge LE since 1998 and have never had a check foil error where the foil wasn't at its end or jammed and damaged. I couldn't tell you where the sensor is located.

What is important is in getting your feedback on our suggestions. Without that, there is little benefit in myself or others trying to guess what the problem is. Did you try all my numbered suggestions? Did you check your LPT and Sentinel driver settings? Did you try running one color at a time?

Are you using the Gerber supplied printer cord? How far is your Edge located from the computer?

If you are quoting someone, the process is automated when you click the Quote button instead of the Reply button.

Tony Teveris

If you use the SPL file through GQMgr does it always stop in the same place?

You can leave the same foil cart in for every color (do not change the foil).

If that works then try changing the foil when it request it.

If you get different results by doing the above there has to be somehting wrong in the Edge. I do not think it has anything to do with the connection, etc

Sounds like the foil take up motor

theKING

I am sorry for not responding to all the above suggestions.. had to attend a funeral today and calling hours yesterday and it has kept me away from the Edge. I am going the last remaining suggestions tonight and see what happens... Updates to follow. THANKS!!!!

bjones

I had a similar issue,turned out to be a bad caddy of all things. No matter how many times or ways I loaded that one caddy it would throw the check foil error.

Tony Teveris

In my $.02 above I assumed that when you chaged a foil you were changing the foil/caddy, not putting a different foil in the same caddy.

Tony Teveris

Could be - thats why I like to make a spool file then the software side is really out of the question / problem.

If one can get it to happen using the spool file it could be

GQMgr - but I do not think so as there a lot of Omega's out there not having the problem
Device - something with it's firmware (I again do not think so because of the number out there), electronic, mechanical.
Environment - static, etc
Materials - vinyl or foils, caddy

Being a software guy I try to apply the same tactics of divide and conquer