• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here's a graphic I made from a photo, with measurements, from scratch!

AUTO-FX

I'll admit, this is kinda my specialty, but I love how some of these newbie kids come on the forum here with their desperate pleas "Does anybody have this graphic for this car, I've looked ALL OVER for at and I gotta have it done by tomorrow"

This is for a buddy of mine, and a one off in all likelyhood, so i'm not worried about licensing. I stopped at his house and got some measurements the other day.
I did a google search and bingo, I found a perfect side shot of the car. Almost always can find one.
Drew a rectangle with the measurements I had, imported the photo, and blew it up to match up with rectangle.Sometimes I use wheelbase measurements.
Then I just started drawing! Point by point and using the handles for curves. Not a big deal, a little teadious, but after you do it for awhile, it isnt so bad.
Then i couldnt find the font for the logo, so I googled that, and found a pretty decent picture of it. Did a outline trace in Flexi, clean it up a bit, and there we go. Only took me a couple hours.:Big Laugh

Ps. And no, please dont ask my to send you the file!

Attachments

• yenko nova.jpg
    yenko nova.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 152
  • chevrolet-nova-yenko-05.jpg
    chevrolet-nova-yenko-05.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 137
  • yenko_427.jpg
    yenko_427.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 138

OldPaint

betcha dont have this one. i built it in corel. i also have a NIKKI CHEVROLET.........i used to work just down the street from this dealership when it was in cannonburgh, pa. also raced against one of the original "stinger" 180 h.p. corvairs. with this car(pic is 1966) at PITTSBUREGH INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY.

Attachments

• YENKO.jpg
    YENKO.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 65plymouth.jpg
    65plymouth.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 134

AUTO-FX

betcha dont have this one. i built it in corel. i also have a NIKKI CHEVROLET.........i used to work just down the street from this dealership when it was in cannonburgh, pa. also raced against one of the original "stinger" 180 h.p. corvairs. with this car(pic is 1966) at PITTSBUREGH INTERNATIONAL DRAGWAY.

Oh YEAH, well - well - it's not chevy, but I betcha dont have THIS one!!

(holy smokes, is that vYOU in the pic??)

Attachments

• SCATPACKBEE_1.jpg
    SCATPACKBEE_1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 108

OldPaint

that is me in the picture 1966.......in the air force at loring air force base MAINE.....and i was capable of doing a military press of 300 pound!!!!!!! i got the scat pack and the super bee....

Attachments

• NICKEY.jpg
    NICKEY.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 167

phototec

Auto-FX

Good job and good post, I do the same, I get far back from the vehicle and take a high res photo with a 105mm lens (on 35mm camera), center myself between the front and back, and from top to bottom (square on), to eliminate lens distortion.

I measure two points of reference on the vehicle (like the edge of front side reflector to edge of the rear side reflector, open the photo in Photoshop and using the built in measuring tools, scale the photo to 1/4 scale (sometimes full-size), then import the scaled image into Illustrator to use as a template on a dimmed locked layer (you can dim the layer to 25%) and then I can create new vector graphics in the layer above the template layer, making it 1/4 scale (or what ever scale).

CADTools is a plug-in for illustrator that allows you to work in a precise scale with measurement tools, you can set the scale of the drawing, and then all vector components are then drawn to that scale.

Once you use CADTools, you'll wonder how you ever did without it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_iOx3YdEQ

:thumb:

AUTO-FX

Thanks for the tips, I like the dimming trick!

Heres a couple pics of the finished product. My buddy is thrilled!
( note the size of the rear tires on that baby! Tubbed to the max! )

Attachments

• 2013-09-14_14-43-33_656.jpg
    2013-09-14_14-43-33_656.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 2013-09-14_13-53-11_878.jpg
    2013-09-14_13-53-11_878.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 118

phototec

Thanks for the tips, I like the dimming trick!

Heres a couple pics of the finished product. My buddy is thrilled!
( note the size of the rear tires on that baby! Tubbed to the max! )

Yep, whenever you use a photo as a template in Illy, keep it on a separate layer, set the dim layer to a % that allows you to see the detail but also doesn't impede your creating graphics on the above layer, also help to lock the template layer so you don't accidentally move it.

Those are some assume rear tires, are they racing slicks?

:smile:

watchdaride

I'll admit, this is kinda my specialty, but I love how some of these newbie kids come on the forum here with their desperate pleas "Does anybody have this graphic for this car, I've looked ALL OVER for at and I gotta have it done by tomorrow"

This is for a buddy of mine, and a one off in all likelyhood, so i'm not worried about licensing. I stopped at his house and got some measurements the other day.
I did a google search and bingo, I found a perfect side shot of the car. Almost always can find one.
Drew a rectangle with the measurements I had, imported the photo, and blew it up to match up with rectangle.Sometimes I use wheelbase measurements.
Then I just started drawing! Point by point and using the handles for curves. Not a big deal, a little teadious, but after you do it for awhile, it isnt so bad.
Then i couldnt find the font for the logo, so I googled that, and found a pretty decent picture of it. Did a outline trace in Flexi, clean it up a bit, and there we go. Only took me a couple hours.:Big Laugh

Ps. And no, please dont ask my to send you the file!

How do you line all the peices together to have a perfect line. Do you run a pinstripe first or just by eyeball ?

WildWestDesigns

Yep, whenever you use a photo as a template in Illy, keep it on a separate layer, set the dim layer to a % that allows you to see the detail but also doesn't impede your creating graphics on the above layer, also help to lock the template layer so you don't accidentally move it.

If you "place" the photo in Ai instead of opening it and you check template before you click place, Ai will automatically do all that for you.

Attachments

• Template.jpg
    Template.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 106