• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey 1618 & 1624 users! HELP!!

kirkbedtelyon

Mutoh 1618 Dual Head V New 1624?! What say you?

If you had to choose between the newer single head 1624 (newer epson head, 3 year waranty, etc.

and the older DUAL head 1618a (older heads but faster overall speed)....

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE???

Last edited:

FatCat

I've only got a lowly 1204, but I'll throw in my .02¢... I don't know how big of an issue speed is for you. If speed is king, go with the 1618 as it is rated for 480 sq ft/hr vs 313 sq ft/hr for the 1624.

But if it were me I'd go for the 1624, here's why;
- Overall improved machine with upgrades/fixes to many common problems of 1604/1614/1618
-I personally prefer 1 head vs 2 - typically cheaper/simpler to replace - but I haven't seen cost on the new head yet.
-Option for spectrophotometer
-Overall newer improved machine, while the 1618 is just a modified 1604

kirkbedtelyon

Thanks FatCat. That's the way I'm leaning... Never thought I go with a single head when I have the chance to pick up a brand new dual head at the same price but there is definately a difference in the technology. Also 2 year standard warranty compared to 1 year with the 1618. I'm also wondering why Mutoh went with the cartridges as opposed to the 1000ml bags the 1618 uses.

artbot

do you have a link on the new head tech? if you go to the mutoh website, it just says 180 nozzles, blah blah... seems like they'd identify the new head?

why does the new head go faster, isn't it the same size? and has anyone seen a price for a head replacement?

i read a pdf while back titled "epson dx5 and dx7" this a while back but it seemed a lot of conjecture rather than epson provided statistics.

randya

do you have a link on the new head tech? if you go to the mutoh website, it just says 180 nozzles, blah blah... seems like they'd identify the new head?

why does the new head go faster, isn't it the same size? and has anyone seen a price for a head replacement?

i read a pdf while back titled "epson dx5 and dx7" this a while back but it seemed a lot of conjecture rather than epson provided statistics.

It is the Epson 5540 print head.
Apparently Epson does not use the dx designations themselves.
So there are no dx designation for the head from Epson.

It has a larger droplet capability and more droplet sets, which allows it to run faster (lower resolutions). Printer improvements also allow the carriage to move faster, accounting for the faster print speeds.

Epson keeps most of the specs to themselves. So most of what is out there is probably conjecture.
I would interested in see the pdf you read, if you still have a copy.