• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey, Newbie Q, Startup with Laser Printer!

meh

Hi,

I started some sticker/decal printing. Currently I am using a HP 2605dn I got off ebay for ~$160 (refurbished). Because its a 8 inch wide printer I buy my media from http://www.papilio.com. 100 sheets of HP Laser Adhesive backed vinyl its around ~$85. Then there is toner which is around ~$200. So startup cost is $445 Not to bad. But then I realize.

Have to print on white vinyl for it to show up good.
I can't insert a roll of vinyl, its just vinyl sheets. (8" x 11.5")
More importantly I can't contour cut the vinyl! I cut these decals, stickers mostly in rectangles by hand (with a cutting board)

Now Does anyone recommend a better printer, or a cutter that I can work in with my "novice system" so I can place the sheet of vinyl in the cutter and have it contour cut the logos out with a 0.5"-1" or so white boarder. Can any of these cutters read a Photoshop file?

Thanks in advanced!

Pro Image

I dont think so with the ability to contour cut........

Some times you got to spend a little money to make a lot............

jiarby

you can buy a skillet and a spoon at wal mart, but that doesn't mean you can open a restaurant.

Do your homework, buy the right equipment, and get selling....

but don't post in a professional sign forum that you bought a roll of scotch tape and some sharpie markers at the dollar store and you are ready to be in the sign business.

meh

jiarby this is the newbie forum... I want to try out a little venture of making small stickers and small decal for cars. I created a website at http://www.exclusivevinyl.com and have done some research on it. I didn't know I had to spend thousands of dollars on my equipment to post on this forum. Here is an example of what I have done...

nicodecalvehicle.png

All i'm trying to do is print for car enthusiast websites their logo on a small sticker or static cling decal.

I thought my process would be...
1.) Design in photoshop
2.) Print in photoshop with the markings a Roland ColorCamm could read
3.) Place the printed sheet in the Roland ColorCamm
4.) Countor Cut the vinyl with a 0.5" border
5.) Weed the vinyl
6.) Ship to customer.

I am using an HP 2605dn printer on HP glossy white laser poly film thats adhesive backed and doesn't need waterproofing.

PGSigns

The problem with the cutters you have looked is they will have problems cutting much of anything from an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet. Next, Yes a cutter that can read the registration marks on a sheet will do a contour cut but you still need a program to draw the vector file for the cutter to follow. The process is a little more involved than what you are thinking. You may want to develop a relationship with someone who has the correct equipment to do quality outdoor durable decals so you start out providing a good quality product and when your business volume is high enough to justify the investment buy the correct equipment.
Jimmy

jiarby

do your designs, and job out the manufacturing to a wholesaler (lots of them here)...when you've made a bunch of dough you can upgrade to equipment that does what you want.

how are you putting registration marks on the print from in photoshop? You have to make a vector outline, then send the cut job to the cutter.

Jackpine

jiarby this is the newbie forum... I want to try out a little venture of making small stickers and small decal for cars. I created a website at http://www.exclusivevinyl.com and have done some research on it. I didn't know I had to spend thousands of dollars on my equipment to post on this forum. Here is an example of what I have done...

nicodecalvehicle.png

All i'm trying to do is print for car enthusiast websites their logo on a small sticker or static cling decal.

I thought my process would be...
1.) Design in photoshop
2.) Print in photoshop with the markings a Roland ColorCamm could read
3.) Place the printed sheet in the Roland ColorCamm
4.) Countor Cut the vinyl with a 0.5" border
5.) Weed the vinyl
6.) Ship to customer.

I am using an HP 2605dn printer on HP glossy white laser poly film thats adhesive backed and doesn't need waterproofing.

Colorcamm???? it is a printer and contour cutter. Why not put some resin ribbons in your Colorcamm and design in Corel or Illustrator and print and cut with the Roland Colorcamm? Thermal resin is very durable and this printer was made for small decals.

TheSnowman

Yup, we've already talked about it, but it's just time to do a little more homework before the next purchase. There's a lot more to cutting a graphic out than the normal eye would think.

meh

jiarby, just want to tell you I mean no disrepect to you whatsoever. I have huge respect for what all of you do! It is a good idea to to job out the manufacturing to someone on the boards. Thank you all that has replied.