• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Orlando!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Been totally slammed and stressed for the last couple weeks... really have to shutdown and recharge so Hubby and I are taking our first REAL vacation - but because of his health we can't go toooo far.

We're headed over to spend a week in Orlando for our 17th anniversary (been together 21 years) and we are going to play tourist. We never have. Always wanted to go to Seaworld so we are and I want to see Epcot. Those are my big money excursions... I have no interest in Disney other than Epcot, but wondering if any of you in the Orlando Kissimmee area have any lil hole-in-the wall tourist places that you like to visit once in a while or could make some *affordable* suggestions on where to go, what to see or even a good restaurant.

Cheers! :toasting:

dwt

The attractions are fun, if you don't mind burning some cash ($80 tix and $30 parking and astronomical food prices.

For the real fun in the Orlando area, I would recomend the Morse Museum in Winter Park. Much of Louis Tiffany's glass art is there as well as an entire cathedral made of tiny glass chips.*stunning*

Around the corner from there is the historic Winter Park Boat Tour. Very relaxing and enjoyable. I recommend reservations.

http://www.morsemuseum.org/ http://scenicboattours.com/home.htm

Also every Sunday in Dowtown O-Town is a very large farmers market with craft beers and live entertainment til 5pm.

I can also recommend the Edgewater Hotel in Historic Winter Garden for your stay. (15 minutes from Disney to the north) Great bed-n-breakfast on a completely restored setting including the completely restored Garden Theater. (Room rates are probably less than anything near hwy192)
Lots to see without loosing a fortune.
Have a Great Trip!
:signs101:

Attachments

• g_banner.jpg
    g_banner.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 70

modernmav

Not sure if you like seafood, but my wife and I happend upon one of the best restaurants we've ever been too on I-Drive called Salt Island. Its a little pricey but it was definitely some of the best food and service we've ever gotten.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Thanks guys...

Now THAT's what I'm talking about dwt... that is a definite stop on my trip.. I love tiffany glass and had no idea there was a museum so close.

Can't do any rides cuz of the health thing so trying to find mellow, enjoyable places to go...

dwt

When my wife and I went we received a private tour, by luck, from Dr. Morse's personal secretary who was probably 90yrs at the time. God Bless her, she was still writing in shorthand on note cards.
She is the only person I've met that can still read an write in that form.

totalimage

We just went to Boston Lobster Feast...30 a person and all you can eat lobsters and all...Food was very good..Over on International Drive

theskipman_98

It's been a long time since I was stationed in Orlando. I loved Orlando!

One of the places we use to go was Church Street Station. A happening place on the weekends, but it seemed like a kept secret. At night they have night vendors, street bands playing all kinds of music. They had the mimes, people walking on stilts, etc. It was just fun.
On Church Street is also a place called Rosie O'Grady's. The first floor looked like something out of a western. It looked like a proper saloon from the old westerns, with the staff dressed in era period gear and all. They even had a piano player lol.

Congrats!

295320-Church_Street_Station-Orlando.jpg

dwt

Unfortunately Rossie O'Grady's has been closed for years. A redevelopment scam where the city gave a ton of cash to a fellow who destroyed much of the historic interior, then went bankrupt and left the shell behind. This area is trying to make a comeback....albeit very slowly.

fmg

Joes crab shack, Burger king, McDonalds, pizza hut, Denny's, IHOP, TGIF. Loads on offer in glorious International Drive

dwt

Joes crab shack, Burger king, McDonalds, pizza hut, Denny's, IHOP, TGIF. Loads on offer in glorious International Drive

I-drive is mostly a tourist dump and also a good place to get robbed at gunpoint (they don't tell you that in the brochures).

Their are plenty of great places to eat for all ethnic varieties. Vietnamese, Thai, Greek (with traditional dancing), Irish, Colombian, Mexican food so authentic the waiters don't speak a lick of English, and so on. Good family recipes at most of them.

If you are in to vegetarian and/or organic dishes there are at least a dozen of them as well. Ethos and the Funky Monkey are my favorites!

fmg

I-drive is mostly a tourist dump and also a good place to get robbed at gunpoint (they don't tell you that in the brochures).

Their are plenty of great places to eat for all ethnic varieties. Vietnamese, Thai, Greek (with traditional dancing), Irish, Colombian, Mexican food so authentic the waiters don't speak a lick of English, and so on. Good family recipes at most of them.

If you are in to vegetarian and/or organic dishes there are at least a dozen of them as well. Ethos and the Funky Monkey are my favorites!
\
I Drive is the hub of Florida.I love that place mmmm yummy tasty wholesome cooking and so much on offer including a mouse!