• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Y'all from the freeeeeeezing midwest

Patchmaster

Guess I should introduce myself.

I'm Bill....

more?

ok, i'm from Kansas and as I write this there is an inch of ice covering my trees, it's 19 degrees outside, it looks like a cat 5 hurricane blew through town from downed trees, powerlines and frozen limbs. Our lights have been out for two days with another 10-30 days projected. The wife and daughter took the last hot shower before the water tank froze, I am now $1000 dollars poorer due to a new and unexpected generator purchase, it's how I am writing this now. I don't have enough juice to run the plotter. BUT!! The wife is happy again that the Christmas tree is lit again. my first post is here in the signs101 forums - LIFE IS GOOD!!!

I'm a silkscreener from waaaay back when, now retired form that.
I've been doing sublimation and embroidery for several years, but also retired from that.
I'm a computer science geek with a plotter, 5 computers a serious compunction for computer graphics and design and now find myself in the cut vinyl biz due to demand from customers to do so.
Over the years I have been selling, more on the backside, digital printed banners. I don't print them myself but job them out to china at prices I couldn't print them myself at. I've turned away hundreds of jobs for vinyl work over the years but decided that i am so close to the industry anyway I might as well take the plunge.

Through the serious time I have spent reading through this forum as well as others I have learned many things that has helped me so far. A big thank you to all whom have helped, albeit without your knowledge that you have done so.

I'm opinionated, a staunch fairness advocate and share outwardly, although at times tend to write way to much - can you tell?
I'll be around for sometime, so you might as well get used to me ;)

Bill
Sassy Graphics

ps. the Patchmaster nic is because I used to crank out embroidered patches in the millions (ok not that many but it seems that way)

high impact

welcome to the playground!

We had the same ice and as I awaited the dreaded "blip" of the lights, the weather warmed and now we are almost flooded...as I sit in my warm house typing on my computer plugged in to the wall socket.

Seriously...good luck and welcome. Did I type enough to give you a run for your money?

Patchmaster

The ice I can handle, the resulting flooding I can do without though - thanks for the reminder ;)

I wonder if my homeowners ins. is up to date...

Welcome! We had one of those lovely ice storms here in Idaho back in 1997! There wasn't a candle, battery, blanket or bottle of water to be found anywhere! We did o.k because we have wood heat & a Weber to cook on but I felt really sorry for people relying on electricity to get through it! I have to admit that it is really pretty though.

OldPaint

and you people call us "who live in hurricane land"
CRAZY????
at lest with a hurricane
....I AINT ALSO GONA FREEZE TO DEATH!!!!!

TerrySieg

Good Morning Bill,
It sounds like Kansas is fairly nice weather wise. I'm from Minnesota and it's 2 above. I am new to the forum it took me awhile to find the place. I've been doing graphics (cut/and large format) for 6 years.
Always a mac & flexi sign. Have a great holiday.
Good Luck!!

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Hey Bill
Welcome to the place. Sounds like yr gonna fit in around here, I'm in Illinois just up the road from St. Louis, we didn't get hit quite as hard as you all did but still took off from work one day to blade off the ice with my tractor and put down some gravel, and that was just to get in and out of my driveway.

Sparky

Welcome Patch - Where abouts in KS? I too am in the middle of the storm, but never lost power. The internet did go out, so the power could have gone with it, cause without Internet, who needs power - right?

Patchmaster

Without the Internet, who needs power - there is wisdom in those words :D

I can relate to the hurrican comment above. We moved from the Seattle area in '01 after 3 earthquakes, one a mag 6.8.
at least in the midwest I can see the twisters and storms coming :D

I didn't see this one coming though, I was in Denver for the KC/Denver game and put boots on the ground litterely 10 minutes ahead of the storm.

We are about 25 minutes north of Topeka (T-Town? )

I can't complain though, i'm sitting here with the Internet, my laptop on my lap watching the surround sound equipped big screen drinking hot coffee now while the kids are all playing with thier DS's, SP's, ETC's -LOL.
I can't wait till school is back in session LOL

we're expecting another 2-4 inches of snow on top of all this.
Gotta love the midwest.

Bill

jiarby

hos did you get started jobbing out digital banners to china? what kind of quantities? Turn around time? Doesn't seem logical for 1-off jobs.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Good Morning Bill,
It sounds like Kansas is fairly nice weather wise. I'm from Minnesota and it's 2 above. I am new to the forum it took me awhile to find the place. I've been doing graphics (cut/and large format) for 6 years.
Always a mac & flexi sign. Have a great holiday.
Good Luck!!
Welcome to both of you from OK.
I think it got down to 29 degrees here. A little rain. Not bad for Dec weather. I live just a little south of the ice storms. Streets are warm enough that ice did not form on them.