• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi and about me. The way things happen.

Fitch

I get a little frustrated sometimes at this section... lol. I actually DO want to know about you. People FASCINATE me.

Me? I was a Bank Manager. So many corporate people (above me) heading towards the almighty profits and away from client service, ingenuiety, caring, flexibility and accountabilty and responsibilty. Everyone wanted to pass the buck and not take responsibilty for their own actions or (lack of) growth. So I said bye bye.

It was the beginning of summer 1995, my neighbour and I were sitting out back with the guitars and a bottle of Jim Beam. Needless to say by the finish of the bottle, we were pretty down on those we were working for. Working our a$$es of for 60-70 hrs a week while they made the money.

Fast forward to the end of summer. Same deal only this time I said "well let's stop talking about it and do something about it". We contemplated what we could do working for ourselves, and don't ask me how but "signs" came up as an option. Already got a computer, all we need is some software and a plotter.

We were "signwriters".

I worked part time 4 nights a week to establish the business and after 6 months bought him out. He could have told me he was colour blind and scared of heights BEFORE we started don't you think?

After a while it got back to me that I was a "vinyl jock" by the local signwriting fraternity. That hurt. All I was trying to do was put my business skills to use with something that was fun. I was prepared to put in 60-70 hours for someone else, might as well do it for myself.

The learning curve was steep. I knew absolutely NOTHING about the signwriting game, but I did not want to be a "jock". So I taught myself about vinyls. Got pretty good at it too. But in order to make more money I had to fill the void in the skills that I lacked and potential clients were going to the other signshops for.

So I got paint (everywhere) and slapped it on banners, timber, concrete - anything that people would pay me for. Airbrushing, projecting onto walls, pouncing etc etc etc developed the skills but more importantly bought in more money, paid the bills, bought equipment, paid off the house, and gave a chance to "relax" a little.

Man those were fun days.

I say "were" because the market changed and the slice of the pie was getting smaller and smaller. Time for a new challenge.

Dimensional or 3d signs are absolutely beautiful to me so that's where I'm headed - into to realm where the pie slice is much much bigger. I am so so at it. But challenge myself each time to get better, and as such command more money. Yes it is about the money. But a balance between what pleases me, my client and the hoards of people that seem to want to have their hand in my pocket these days.

This is not about what I've learnt and others choose not to. It's just my story.

I hope that some day there are many others that can share the fun, the joy, the financial rewards that the sign (or any other industry you choose) game has to offer because as they say - if you are going to have to work, you might as well enjoy it.

Cheers

PS YES it is a rainy day and I got through all my work yesterday / last night...hehehehehehehe.

As soon as it stops - off to a digital print install.

Last edited:

jiarby

Do the spindles on CNC routers south of the equator spin clockwise or counter clockwise?

EIther way... good luck with your new venture. Sounds fun!

Fitch

@ jiarby:

The spindles run the same way

Its the x (which becomes y ), y (which becomes x ) and the z (which becomes reversed) which sometimes gets confusing.

I solved it (partially) by turning the router in north/south rather than east west direction. Now all I gotta figure out is how to turn the damn thing upside down without the substrate falling off.

JK

Thanks for the welcome.

SignManiac

Welcome and here's a little of my history...

I started out like a lot of you, just fell into the sign business quite by accident. That was thirty six years ago in Montauk Point, New York at the ripe old age of nineteen, in the the famed Hampton's of Long Island. I was working at a marina one weekend on the 4th of July, fueling boats for some under the table cash money. Five bucks an hour was good money back in the early 70's, and I had a wife, two kids and a house to take care of and nothing more than a high school education and a passion for art.

Well by 1:00pm all the boats were out to sea, so I headed into the ships store to ask the owner if there was anything else that needed done?
Noticing a cardboard sign halfway done, I volunteered to finish it. The owner asked if I knew how to make signs and I replied "It doesn't look that difficult to me." I considered myself a fairly accomplished artist, what could be so hard about painting a few ABCs? Well after I was done, the owner was so impressed that she asked me if I could paint a another 4'x8' sign the following day? It seems they had been waiting months for a real professional sign painter who lived up the island to come and paint it. I said I would try it, they already had the board, a cheap piece of plywood, already painted brown. They supplied me with some mop type brushes and all the Rustoleum paint I could want. It took me eight hours and they liked it, even the misspelled words. I didn't have a spell checker back in those days. That night I thought to myself, imagine, getting paid $40.00 to have fun. This was the start of something great. I actually was paid to have fun!

The next day they asked me to paint one more sign for them, and a guy watching me from behind, complimented me on my natural talent. He said he was impressed by how much money us sign painters made. It seems he had a friend in the business and he told me he couldn't believe we could make $150.00 for a sign like that? Hmm, $150.00 and I was only charging $40?, no wonder the owner was so happy with my work.

The owner made out real good on that deal. Anyway, another local marina owner was complaining to the first marina owner that he needed a sign for a shark tag tournament coming up and the marina owner I did the first sign for told him to call Bob the Sign painter :)

Well this guy gets my number and calls and is someone I knew and didn't like. He fired me one summer when I was a kid because I had to go to a wedding that I had requested time off for two weeks prior and he said I couldn't have the time off the day of the wedding. I'm pretty sure I told him to his face that he could go F#$$K himself :) Boy did that feel great!

So when he asked me how much, I swallowed real hard and said $100. He agreed to it only if I could finish it by the following weekend. Well I took that beautiful sheet of a/c grade shit plywood home that they had painted one coat of latex white, and proceeded to letter it laying down flat on my living room floor. Ten hours later, it was done. Wow, simple arithmetic, $10.00 and hour and I had fun even though my eyes were bleeding from the strain and lousy light from the one lamp in the living room. Now I'm starting to like this sign thing. Well, one thing led to another and it snowballed into the monster that it can become.

That's really how I got into it. Right place at the right time. Well, I read everything I could get my hands on. Because I loved it so much, I put in the incredible hours and practiced and practiced and practiced. Through sheer stubborn determination, I taught myself how to paint signs. As the years went on, I needed more challenges and learned to blast and carve. Computers came on the scene in 1982 and I had one of the first ever Gerber Signmaker III's... that's right, Signmaker III, no auto kerning. Never doubted the decision, I just instinctively knew this was the future of sign making and I jumped at the opportunity and capitalized on it.

Like everyone else, the long hours, neglect of my family for six months at a time, the computer helped me catch up and gave me more time to spend with them. I've always had my business in my home. In a basement about 800 sq. ft, I cranked out more work than my competitors in their big shops. I was extremely organized and efficient with my time and ran my business like a Swiss watch...Took twelve weeks vacation time a year and made some serious money. Took great pride in charging ridiculous prices and found i could get it. I am a strong advocate for charging enough for your work and then some.

Speeding up, I divorced and decided to walk away from my little gold mine. Money didn't matter much anymore as I was very unhappy. So I packed up and moved to Florida, to start my life over from scratch. I left New York basically with the clothes on my back and enough tools that I could drive down to Florida with. I had considered working for Disney, they offered me a job, but decided I could not fit in with an organization and know way in hell could I take orders from anybody else after being my own boss for so many years.

The only thing left to do was open shop again. Skywatch Signs was born in May of '92 and the first 6 months were slow going. I lost many a job cause I refused to lower my price. I stuck to my guns and slowly built up the clientele I wanted to work for. Now only high end accounts come to me because I am known to be far more expensive than anyone else in the area. The cheapskates don't waste my time and I can concentrate on the premium work. We do very little advertising and most of our business is by referral only.

I can do most everything from airbrushing, pin striping, gold leaf, carved and sandblast signs and design. We don't want the electric signs or neon. There must be two hundred electric shops in a sixty mile radius, all cutting each others throats to get the job. Let them fight it out. We have a nice little niche market, all the work I want, and the option to select and choose who I will work for.

I was told that I could not make it here in Florida. People won't pay for good work in this area, I was told. I came down here determined to get what I did in New York and I didn't see any rational reason to charge less for my talent and abilities. So here I am, charging top dollar and doing more work than I can handle at times. Experience has taught me that when things get that busy, I'm not charging enough. Time to raise the price even higher...I cant wait to see what the market is willing to bear :)

Skywatch Signs is currently located in a 6,000 sq.ft. shed in my back yard and my commute to work, barring traffic is about 30 seconds. We have all the necessary tools to fabricate any type of sign right here. Very little is subcontracted out to ensure strict quality control. I always say, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

At present, I have five employee's but to be honest, I secretly wish for those days when I worked by myself. I know I come on a little strong when it comes to pricing sign work, but I've paid a heavy price in these last thirty six years and I refuse to let the customer dictate what my skills are worth. It upsets me to see talented sign artists just getting by when I know they could get so much more for their efforts.
It's really nice to be independent. It's my life and I can do whatever I want... I personally know a lot of you out there, and its been a privilege to know you all and be associated with this unique and unquestioningly eccentric profession. I do my best to inspire and educate others in our profession and hope you can learn from my mistakes and others here who are willing to share their knowledge and past experiences, so keep an open mind!

Fitch

WHAT A BRILLIANT STORY!!!!!!!!!!

I really endorse "... any rational reason to charge less for my talent and abilities" and "....refuse to let the customer dictate what my skills are worth".

I wish ALL whether experienced or "newbie" would take heed. Lesson for today.

Rather than drop your prices to compete - put them up ... then others around may start asking " well... why can't I get that $$$"

Cheers

PS Hope you had fun (and a smile writing that, as I did with mine). I can sense your pride in just your words.