• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from Canada

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA. :unclesam:

You'll learn much about the sign trade here. You’ll learn much about business here too. You’ll learn a lot about many things in general here. Good Luck.

Best piece of advice to start you off… stay away from ‘Avery’ products. :thumb:

mander0104

Welcome from a fellow Canadian. I'm located in Alberta, just curious as to where in canada you are from? Good luck in the biz...this is all new to mee too!!

Jazmyn

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome and all the tips !

mander0104 - I'm in Eastern Ontario near Ottawa

To update - my 1st decision is made - I purchased the Graphtec CE-3000MK2-60 (24") this morning through a dealer located close by. It's to arrive in 3 or 4 days.

I got quotes from several sources, and these folks came in with the best price - I was so glad since they are close to me.
Just awhile ago, I had one of the dealers I had contacted yesterday call me with a new price - He dropped the price $600 this morning !
He was still higher but geez that sure made me wonder about them
If I hadn't done my research before contacting any of them, it sure proves how easy someone can get ripped off.

Next on my list, is supplies I need. I'm going to start price shopping for those.

I found some great ideas reading through threads on tables, tape dispenser and some other stuff.

You folks are a wealth of information for a newbie like me ! :thumb:

:thankyou: :U Rock:

I'm going to start price shopping for those

IMO, especially when first starting, that is a big mistake. The first thing that you need to do is establish a relationship with a vendor. Preferrably the closest vendor to you. The reason this is necessary is because you will run into problems and need the assistance/support.

Pricing is not all that different from one vendor to another, as far as the common supplies are concerned. The last thing you want to be doing is always waiting or stocking too much inventory. Verify what your local vendor sells - if it the usually name brand material, start there.

Jazmyn

Good point ! Thanks :thumb:

I probably should have worded that different - meaning more looking for what suppliers are available to me, where are they, what they carry, etc.

I'm trying to get background information 1st, then I plan on meeting & talking with them in person to set up that personal contact.

I've pretty much decided a lot of the vinyl I'll be using will probably be 3M.
I need a product that holds up well and especially doesn't fade quickly to use for lettering on our equipment.
I've got some to replace which isn't holding up very well that we got from the sign shop we've used. Sometimes I think he has used just whatever he had in stock whether it was the right type or not.

I do need to find out more info on Oracal as I've never used it.

More research to do :wink:

3M is good but not your only alternative. We can tell you that the two brands we use do not fade, etc. Many others here use the Oracal, and they will tell you mmore about that.

Vinyl that rapidly loses its color is usually the sign of no-name EBay vinyl - good for only six months.

What kind of equipment and abuse are you referring to?

Jazmyn

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
3M is good but not your only alternative. We can tell you that the two brands we use do not fade, etc. Many others here use the Oracal, and they will tell you mmore about that.

Vinyl that rapidly loses its color is usually the sign of no-name EBay vinyl - good for only six months.

What kind of equipment and abuse are you referring to?

We have construction equipment - trucks, loaders, asphalt pavers, rollers, etc.
Needless to say they are outside in the elements - sun, wind, rain, etc.

We had a new truck lettered last year and the colour is fading.
A new one we had done about 4 months ago, I've noticed has some black lettering fading already

I have some equipment they've done for us over the last 3 years that's OK - obviously used the right stuff for it.

I do have Oracal available to me by a supplier close by (who also carries the 3M).
I'm very interested in anyone's thoughts & information on it - what would be best to use.

Of course, my next thing to consider in any of them is colour availabilty. That can also adjust my decision when I see what colour/shade they offer especially in red and blue.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yikes !!!

Jazmyn said:
A new one we had done about 4 months ago, I've noticed has some black lettering fading already

Now that's a tough act to follow... :Oops:

WB

Oracal offers a very good quality Vinyl I wouldn't pass them by just yet..

they have alot of colors available offer a economical grade allthe way to a Cast vinyl that has 10 outdoor durablity.

You'll find with most of the larger Vinyl manufactures they all have a similar warranty and all have good quality vinyl.

Jazmyn

Thanks for the input - it's appreciated !

I'm very interested to check out Oracal's offering - sounds like they could be a good choice along with 3M

I agree with the shit vinyl comment !! That's the only way I can think to describe it too :wink: