• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from Dublin Ireland

Eureka

Hello everyone.

I'm brand spanking new here.

I'm also brand spanking new to signs. Actually, I'm even newer than that.

For the past few weeks I have been seriously considering "signs" as a new business.

I know it's cliche to say "I've always had a natural talent"
for art & design, along with an aptitude for marketing.

So I wont say it...........

Anyway, I'm working away in a reasonably successful business, too busy to express myself in any artistic way at all.

Until now :banghead:

My own business is just about keeping it's head above water for quite a while now.

I have less business, more time. Glass half full or glass half empty?

The present economic climate dictates that I can condense my present business into 3 days per week:covereyes:

:bushmill:

Yeehaw! That gives me 4 days per week to ease myself into
the SIGN BUSINESS.

And I really want to give it a go, even though it is really uncharted waters for me right now.

I am trying to buy a full set up at this very moment.

It is a nearly new Plotter/Cutter, along with software; CoralDraw etc. and a few bits and pieces of corriboard, vinyl etc. to start me off

The price is only a couple of thousand dollars.

Importantly, included is a full day of one to one training from the vendor..

Anyway, This is my introduction to you all here on :signs101:.

I await you comments :Welcome:

Last edited:

Jillbeans

While I admire your enthusiasm I would be cautious of getting into the sign biz.
Our market is saturated, the economy sucks, and it's hard to get a good price for quality work when other yay-hoos are selling signs by the pound.
One full day of training is a drop in the bucket.
You need to learn basic layout, design, pricing, which materials to use, how to use them etc etc etc.
Love...Jill

Eureka

Thank you Jill and Bill for you welcome.

Yes, I understand that it will be difficult. Everything is very difficult in business at the moment, and of course the sign business is no exception.

But I'm trying to see an opportunity here. Like I said, I'm not expecting to get rich any time soon, but hopefully at the start, I can pick up a couple of hundred Dollars per week to supliment my family income. And then with a bit of luck, build up from there.

Yes, I know that one day of training is a tiny drop in the ocean, but I'm hoping it will be enough to familiarize me with the equipment and software etc. in order to get me started. After that, it will really be "on the job training" together with loads of research, and trying to garner any little bit of valuable information and advice from those who have ploughed the furrow before me.
(ie. those professionals on here) :U Rock:

Eureka

Perhaps someone could advise me at this stage.

I'm a little worried that I may be purchasing an obsolete technology.

Is a plotter/cutter, and the whole Vinyl Signs still relevant in this
"full color" world?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK USA

Here in the US many shops are printing what they used to cut. However, there are many jobs that still require cut vinyl.

Zazzess

Warm Welcome from Quebec City, CAnada !!

Good Luck with your shop !!

You are at the right place for some real great info and support !!