• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from Kansas! Our Story...

victor6er

I've been lurking here for a good long while and thought I'd post a bit about us and our background and where we're at now. My girlfriend and I are working our way into the business and about to make a pretty big jump for both in the sign and printing biz.

My background includes an almost completed BS in accounting though midway through year 3 I discovered how mind numbingly boring it was and changed over to business admin with comp sci minor. This will be my 3rd time attempting to run my own business. As an employee I've done tons of different things from industrial maintenance in 2 different industries, loan collector (ewwww), convenience store management, and sales. I've owned my own ISP (started it in 1995 as the first internet provider in southeast kansas) and actually what killed it was my own inexperience on finance and management. And currently I drive however many hours I want a week taking people who can't transport themselves to dr appointments, counselling, and hospitals which is tremendously rewarding to help folks who can't help themselves...

I've been into graphic design for years with websites, program design and about 5 years ago got into a screenprinting operation with my now ex. Loved everything about it except who I was working with. And during that fiasco we purchased a vinyl cutter along with the screen printing stuff. And though it was a hunk of crap it intrigued me enough that after I walked away from that bought a small Roland gs-24 and went to town doing vinyl cutting, mostly small signs, vehicle windows, and small apparel orders. But I've been looking at printers for the last few years. And after seeing a few videos and talking with some folks who have experience in large format I decided to show my girlfriend and see if she thought we could make a go at this.

Long story longer, we pulled the trigger and signed a lease on a HP 315 Latex printer which is now sitting in a room WAY too small for it, already put together and waiting for the crew to come in to give us some training and check it over. Hopefully in a few months we'll be moving into a more appropriate place to live with a very large workspace to deal with all my plans. I'm shooting for roughly 24 x 36 work area metal building with 1 overhead door, concrete floor, insulated and finished. However for now we're sharing living space with this monster and planning to spend the next few months on orders we've already got lined up with clients we already do work for.

I'd like to thank those of you who have shared everything you've been through. I've tried to not only read what's been free here but also nabbed some design books that were recommended and even tried to design signs for some of the requests for help or input that folks have asked for. Thank you for your help and for making it through this.

Blaster

Adam B.
I've been lurking here for a good long while and thought I'd post a bit about us and our background and where we're at now. My girlfriend and I are working our way into the business and about to make a pretty big jump for both in the sign and printing biz.

My background includes an almost completed BS in accounting though midway through year 3 I discovered how mind numbingly boring it was and changed over to business admin with comp sci minor. This will be my 3rd time attempting to run my own business. As an employee I've done tons of different things from industrial maintenance in 2 different industries, loan collector (ewwww), convenience store management, and sales. I've owned my own ISP (started it in 1995 as the first internet provider in southeast kansas) and actually what killed it was my own inexperience on finance and management. And currently I drive however many hours I want a week taking people who can't transport themselves to dr appointments, counselling, and hospitals which is tremendously rewarding to help folks who can't help themselves...

I've been into graphic design for years with websites, program design and about 5 years ago got into a screenprinting operation with my now ex. Loved everything about it except who I was working with. And during that fiasco we purchased a vinyl cutter along with the screen printing stuff. And though it was a hunk of crap it intrigued me enough that after I walked away from that bought a small Roland gs-24 and went to town doing vinyl cutting, mostly small signs, vehicle windows, and small apparel orders. But I've been looking at printers for the last few years. And after seeing a few videos and talking with some folks who have experience in large format I decided to show my girlfriend and see if she thought we could make a go at this.

Long story longer, we pulled the trigger and signed a lease on a HP 315 Latex printer which is now sitting in a room WAY too small for it, already put together and waiting for the crew to come in to give us some training and check it over. Hopefully in a few months we'll be moving into a more appropriate place to live with a very large workspace to deal with all my plans. I'm shooting for roughly 24 x 36 work area metal building with 1 overhead door, concrete floor, insulated and finished. However for now we're sharing living space with this monster and planning to spend the next few months on orders we've already got lined up with clients we already do work for.

I'd like to thank those of you who have shared everything you've been through. I've tried to not only read what's been free here but also nabbed some design books that were recommended and even tried to design signs for some of the requests for help or input that folks have asked for. Thank you for your help and for making it through this.
Good Luck w it.

Johnny Best

lurker3.jpg
View attachment 132146 Another long time lurker. Must be a trend.