• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from the Connecticut hills

mrchips

Bob M. "The Sign Guy" told me about this site yesterday.....he said it was pretty cool and I could bust OP's chops on here. :wink:
(Just kidding, Joe and I are friends!)

I do mosly carved wood and HDU signs and decorative interior relief carvings.......full time for over 30 years.

Just as a form of introduction, here's a little slide show of a piece that used a whole bunch of paint, carving and gold tricks that I picked up kicking around Letterhead meets since '95.

http://s178.photobucket.com/pbwidge.../jcieslowski/OKC Freds/dragonfly/68921211.pbw

and here's one Im working on now.....

IMG_0049-3.jpg

So, Hi! I'm looking foward to being here.

Joe

BobM

Welcome from Cape Cod Joe. Glad you found Signs 101.

If anyone is looking for some hands on, first rate carving lessons, Joe is the man. I spent the day with Joe at his shop in Connecticut yesterday and although it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I feel like I'll be one with the tools now that I know how to hold them, how to move them, how to get them sharp, and most of all WHY you do what you do with them. It was a real hands-on, down to earth training session and I surely enjoyed working with Joe.:thankyou:Joe.

THATgirl

hiya Joe! Many moons ago you sent me some info on chisel sharpening. My kids gave me chisels one year for Christmas which is great! I love them.
I have a question for you, where is a good place to buy smaller chisels? I tried carving small letters on a small box I made and my chisels are way too big. I like small handles and would like some good quality small tools to work with. thanks, Cheryl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA...... and we won't hold 'knowing OP' against you................ LOL ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

mrchips

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! :)

Some old friends and new. :)

Cheryl, for small letters I use this knife...

IMG_0023-1.jpg

You get it here... it's the JW3 with a modified #20 blade (You have to put your own tape on the handle ;) )

http://www.warrencutlery.com/indexb.htm

OK, that just brings you to their web site.....click shop on line and a bunch of catagories pop up......all the way in the bottom right, click on "warren industrial blades and handles", that's where the handle and blades are. (I actually use this knife for letters up to 4")

Thanks again everyone!

Joe

Last edited:

mrchips

Thanks again everyone,

Hey, I just noticed "preppie" under my name hmmmmmmmmm, makes me feel young again!!! lol

Joe