• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Hi Guys looking for help cutting vinyl

Waynehiggy

Hi Guys
Fairly new to this.
I have a Versacamm vs 300 and im trying to cut vinyl with laminate.
I have 70 micron vinyl with 250 micron laminate.
I set it up with a 60 degree cemented carbide blade and it cut perfect , next day I tried to cut another design out and it only cut through the laminate not the vinyl, I increased the pressure to its maximum but still no joy... any help would be appreciated

stxrmxn

Hi Guys
Fairly new to this.
I have a Versacamm vs 300 and im trying to cut vinyl with laminate.
I have 70 micron vinyl with 250 micron laminate.
I set it up with a 60 degree cemented carbide blade and it cut perfect , next day I tried to cut another design out and it only cut through the laminate not the vinyl, I increased the pressure to its maximum but still no joy... any help would be appreciated
If you are cutting 250 micron laminate then chances are you have the pressure set pretty high, if you also ran the cut at a bit of speed i would check the tip of the blade against a new one because you may have knocked a very small part of the sharpest point off.
Cutting laminate that thick i would slow it down as much as you can live with.
Only extend the blade as far as needed.
Do not put undue force on the cut, keep lowering the pressure until you find the perfect setting.
Otherwise you are going to have to get the blades in bulk.

strypguy

I start by adjusting the blade out of the holder about a credit card thickness. Then adjust your pressure from there to get a quality cut. John

Waynohiggy

If you are cutting 250 micron laminate then chances are you have the pressure set pretty high, if you also ran the cut at a bit of speed i would check the tip of the blade against a new one because you may have knocked a very small part of the sharpest point off.
Cutting laminate that thick i would slow it down as much as you can live with.
Only extend the blade as far as needed.
Do not put undue force on the cut, keep lowering the pressure until you find the perfect setting.
Otherwise you are going to have to get the blades in bulk.
Thanks I will give it a go

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wait, Does Tex really have a book on Amazon?

It's a collection of tips that I ripped off from postings at S101. I branded them as my own and sell the book for $129.99. Paperback should be out later this summer.

niftytips-jpg.140093

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
It's a collection of tips that I ripped off from postings at S101. I branded them as my own and sell the book for $129.99. Paperback should be out later this summer.

niftytips-jpg.140093
Dang it! I was about to launch my new book in April - and you've beaten me to it. How many pages does your book clock in at? I'll make mine +1 and $1 cheaper :wink:

RustyNZ

I start by adjusting the blade out of the holder about a credit card thickness. Then adjust your pressure from there to get a quality cut. John
I see a few suggestions around about setting the blade to the thickness of a credit card but that is actually a lot more than you need, you actually only need to cut through the vinyl which is much thinner than a credit card. I'd generally go for 1/3 - 1/2 the thickness of a credit card. What you can do is set the blade depth then holding the blade holder in your hand try cut a square (holding it square to the vinyl), check if it cut through and not too much in to the backing paper, if that works OK then it's all just down to force from there.

Note the thickness I refer to above is only on vinyl, the vinyl with laminate will be thicker but still not credit card thick I'd think. I suppose you could also set the blade depth holding the edge of your vinyl/lam up against the blade, it'll need to be set a little bit less than the thickness of that as you'll have backing paper.