Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Hi Guys looking for help cutting vinyl

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Waynehiggy, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Waynehiggy

Waynehiggy New Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Southam
    Hi Guys
    Fairly new to this.
    I have a Versacamm vs 300 and im trying to cut vinyl with laminate.
    I have 70 micron vinyl with 250 micron laminate.
    I set it up with a 60 degree cemented carbide blade and it cut perfect , next day I tried to cut another design out and it only cut through the laminate not the vinyl, I increased the pressure to its maximum but still no joy... any help would be appreciated

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Adjust the blade manually, you may not have tighten it.

3. Waynehiggy

Waynehiggy New Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Southam
    Thanks I will do that but was a bit strange as it was fine to start with then wont cut

4. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    If the blade holder wasn't tighten all the way it will cut fine and then get loose. Also check cut pressure on your printer and on the output in your program

5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    If you buy Tex's Nifty Tips book on Amazon you will find the blade holder tighten tip on page 369.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Waynehiggy

Waynehiggy New Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Southam
    I normally only change the cut pressure in my program not the printer and its always fine

7. stxrmxn

stxrmxn Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Brisbane
    If you are cutting 250 micron laminate then chances are you have the pressure set pretty high, if you also ran the cut at a bit of speed i would check the tip of the blade against a new one because you may have knocked a very small part of the sharpest point off.
    Cutting laminate that thick i would slow it down as much as you can live with.
    Only extend the blade as far as needed.
    Do not put undue force on the cut, keep lowering the pressure until you find the perfect setting.
    Otherwise you are going to have to get the blades in bulk.

• Like Like x 1
  8. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    I start by adjusting the blade out of the holder about a credit card thickness. Then adjust your pressure from there to get a quality cut. John

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Wait, Does Tex really have a book on Amazon?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  10. Waynohiggy

Waynohiggy New Member

May 8, 2018
    England
    Thanks I will give it a go

11. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    It's a collection of tips that I ripped off from postings at S101. I branded them as my own and sell the book for $129.99. Paperback should be out later this summer.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Did you turn off the AC when you left, altering the temp of the room when you ran the next cut?

13. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Dang it! I was about to launch my new book in April - and you've beaten me to it. How many pages does your book clock in at? I'll make mine +1 and $1 cheaper :wink:

14. RustyNZ

RustyNZ Member

Feb 22, 2017
    New Zealand
    I see a few suggestions around about setting the blade to the thickness of a credit card but that is actually a lot more than you need, you actually only need to cut through the vinyl which is much thinner than a credit card. I'd generally go for 1/3 - 1/2 the thickness of a credit card. What you can do is set the blade depth then holding the blade holder in your hand try cut a square (holding it square to the vinyl), check if it cut through and not too much in to the backing paper, if that works OK then it's all just down to force from there.

Note the thickness I refer to above is only on vinyl, the vinyl with laminate will be thicker but still not credit card thick I'd think. I suppose you could also set the blade depth holding the edge of your vinyl/lam up against the blade, it'll need to be set a little bit less than the thickness of that as you'll have backing paper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Oh yeah, also, on occasion we have nailed down a cut force, then changed the speed, and I'll be damned but the faster the blade goes the more 'force' you can consider on it. This is a graphtec, running from 60 down to 25 has a significant impact, meaning the difference in force of 23 & 24 respectively.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Ahh... A true signmaker at heart. Always racing to the bottom? :dog42: