• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi

cr6surfs

Hi Signs 101:

Like several other "newbies" I have also been a lurker on this site for a while.

So what to tell you all? Well I am certainley a "newbie" and an amatuer. My start in "sign making" happened quite by accident. By profession I am a Systems Engineer.

I am an avid waterman and live on the NJ Coast. One of my many endeavours is rebuilding wooded boats ( believe there is no money in that it is absolutely a passion).

So how I got started, well several years ago I was instructed to take some courses toward my MBA from my employer....frankly I was burnt out..so while standing in line for registration I signed up instead for Drawing and Typography courses...my boss was none to pleased...too bad. As I mentioned I was feeling "burnt out" and needed a "creative spark". I absolutely loved the courses. Anyway I began making hand carved and routed quarter boards etc for some of the boats I had restored and then the calls sort of rolled in.

Most of my work has been designed on a drafting table ( yes I know old school...whatever) and a pounce wheel. I have been using Adobe Illustrator as well.

I have no illusions of making $$$$zillions and there are plenty of sign shops in this area ....some excellent and some horrible.

I will likely start up very slowly, plan , choose markets/customers carefully and purchase capital equipment only when I absolutely must as there are plenty of contract CNC and Sandblast companies around (yes my interests are in carved signs).

From a more personal view: 4 children, 1 wife, 1 cat, 1 dog, too many boats and surfboards.

So I look forward to your advice ( and some of the flames...pretty funny)

Chris ( cr6)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to :signs101: from PA.

You certainly have a good handle on starting up. You’ll probably be able to give people here… advice on that end. :biggrin:

Ken

Hi Chris. Welcome!
Thanks for your thoughtful introduction. I love old wooden boats too. You're right, they are a passion, though a few have generated serious dollars dealing in them. You might want to check out a relatively new machine called the Carvewright. It's a 3-D router. It is interesting to me, perhaps for you also.
Cheers!
Ken

cr6surfs

Thanks for the welcomes

All:

Thanks for the welcome.

Ken thanks for the heads up on the Carvewright...neat machine.

Chris (cr6)