Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cr6surfs, Dec 5, 2006.

1. cr6surfs

cr6surfs New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Hi Signs 101:

Like several other "newbies" I have also been a lurker on this site for a while.

So what to tell you all? Well I am certainley a "newbie" and an amatuer. My start in "sign making" happened quite by accident. By profession I am a Systems Engineer.

I am an avid waterman and live on the NJ Coast. One of my many endeavours is rebuilding wooded boats ( believe there is no money in that it is absolutely a passion).

So how I got started, well several years ago I was instructed to take some courses toward my MBA from my employer....frankly I was burnt out..so while standing in line for registration I signed up instead for Drawing and Typography courses...my boss was none to pleased...too bad. As I mentioned I was feeling "burnt out" and needed a "creative spark". I absolutely loved the courses. Anyway I began making hand carved and routed quarter boards etc for some of the boats I had restored and then the calls sort of rolled in.

Most of my work has been designed on a drafting table ( yes I know old school...whatever) and a pounce wheel. I have been using Adobe Illustrator as well.

I have no illusions of making $$$$zillions and there are plenty of sign shops in this area ....some excellent and some horrible.

I will likely start up very slowly, plan , choose markets/customers carefully and purchase capital equipment only when I absolutely must as there are plenty of contract CNC and Sandblast companies around (yes my interests are in carved signs).

From a more personal view: 4 children, 1 wife, 1 cat, 1 dog, too many boats and surfboards.

So I look forward to your advice ( and some of the flames...pretty funny)

Chris ( cr6)

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome to :signs101: from PA.

You certainly have a good handle on starting up. You’ll probably be able to give people here… advice on that end. :biggrin:

3. High Octane

High Octane Active Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Fenton, Michigan
    Welcome from Michigan

4. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA.......................

5. WVB

WVB Very Active Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Welcome Cr6 from A-Town, TX

6. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome

You are not the first or only engineer! Good for you!

7. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Welcome Aboard!:thumb:

8. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: To :signs101: ​

9. lookinc

lookinc Member

Jul 6, 2006
    welcome from bellmawr/wildwoodcrest NJ:Welcome:

10. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

Welcome to the group.

11. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome!

12. Dale's Signs

Dale's Signs Member

Nov 24, 2006
    :Welcome: to :signs101: from Kansas :Coffee:

13. Ken

Ken Major Contributor

Feb 7, 2005
    BC
    Hi Chris. Welcome!
    Thanks for your thoughtful introduction. I love old wooden boats too. You're right, they are a passion, though a few have generated serious dollars dealing in them. You might want to check out a relatively new machine called the Carvewright. It's a 3-D router. It is interesting to me, perhaps for you also.
    Cheers!
    Ken

14. cr6surfs

cr6surfs New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Thanks for the welcomes

All:

Thanks for the welcome.

Ken thanks for the heads up on the Carvewright...neat machine.

Chris (cr6)