• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Ink - Day/Night Quality

Redfield

Has anyone figured out a profile that produces the correct colors for translucent prints that looks great both day time and when lit at night? We've struggled with how dark the higher ink prints look during the day. Most customers aren't happy with it. Haven't figured out the Ink Limits or Restrictions to make the adjustments there, which I'm guessing is the best place to fix that. We would like to be able to print a sign at the high ink that looks like it would at the normal ink setting, but doesn't look washed out.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Don't print it with double ink layers. Print it twice on TWO pieces of vinyl. You can print one in reverse on clear lam and install on the inside of the acrylic or forward and just apply it to the acrylic first then align the main outward facing print on top...... This way it looks right during the day and the second layer underneath gives it the richness it needs when backlit.

Redfield

I've heard of this method. Most of the acrylic we use is white, rarely do we use clear. Will it work with white acrylic? I only use clear vinyl for reverse prints, and white trans for first surface prints.

J Hill Designs

white acrylic - print on trans vinyl first surface, mirror print on clear second surface. my goto method if they client is willing to pay the little bit extra

DesireeM

They're right. The only way to get true color day and night is to print two layers of vinyl. It's twice as much vinyl and ink though so we usually give the customer the option. If they are picky about their colors they are usually willing to pay extra for the 2-layer option.

You don't necessarily have to apply one of your printed layers in reverse to the back side of your acrylic BUT if you apply both on the same side (clear print first then white print on top) it's a LOT harder to align the prints - especially on really long signs and you'll end up with a "ghosted" double edge when the sign is lit.

danno

I custom wrote a profile that is a little oversaturated and have had very good results printing on translucent. I use a HP9000s will ink limits around 305% and have had great results on MPI translucent on white acrylic. I use Oraguard optically clear as an overlaminate.

Redfield

Danno, could you share some of your settings? I use Onyx 10 and an HP L26500 printer. Forgot to mention that detail before. I think we'd probably have a problem with ghosting since this printer uses a lot of heat. I've noticed it a lot with tiled prints.

danno

Redfield, I also have a L26500. I won't use it yet for backlit unless I print to the translucent, then reverse print to clear as was stated in an earlier post. I have found that the latex will not allow the oversaturation of ink like the good old solvent machines do. I'm working on figuring out the black magic that was used in creating their profiles, but haven't found the success that I would like. The big issue that I am having is the temperature that the latex prints/cures at.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
two color prints

i double print with the mimaki jv-33.
prints come out perfect.
you just have to print it as slooooow as possible...

-mosher

MikePro

running an HP 26500 here, and LOVE my translucent prints! I also loved my translucent prints that used to fly out of my mimaki jv3, as well, but now I laminate&apply straight off-the-printer!
...but that may also be due to the fact that I NEVER double-strike, or "high ink limit" for the HP, my prints.
i ALWAYS make a double-print "sandwich", and they come out perfect.

A) :::lightsource:::clear print/white acrylic/clear print:::paying client:::
or
B) :::lightsource:::clear print/clear acrylic/white trans. print:::paying client:::
or
C) :::lightsource:::misc acrylic/double-strike trans.print:::dumpster:::

is the only way to go, imho.
don't fool yourself into thinking that there's a happy medium between "too dark during day" and "too washed-out during night", except for being occasionally lucky-enough to find a client that owns a nightclub, a day spa, or just simply doesn't care.