• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High rez photo's for Large Format

designersign km

I have a question, what is the best process in which to take HIGH REZ pics and get them to a point where I can blow them up to be able to print those to wall mural/large format? Say I wanted to take a downloaded image of Tom Brady blown it up to Lifesize for a cut out and output it to my Roland VP 540 and get a crisp, clean non pixellatted image? Would you save to Desktop, bring it into PSD CS3 and then convert it and if so what would you convert it to? TIFF?, AI, or any other? 300dpi PLEASE HELP

Thanks,
Kris

iSign

your best bet is to hire a photographer.

What do you mean when you say "HIGH REZ"?

Everything is high resolution if you make it small enough...
but in a conversation about large format printing,
one would think we're talking about images that are LARGE... and HIGH REZ!

If they are small images, they typically will never work to print large prints from, which was the reason for my photographer comment. (along with the probable copyright issues for that image... unless by "downloading" you meant purchasing the licensing of the image)

Of course someone will come on and mention Genuine Fractals, Z-spline, etc... but while for large images, you can reduce degradation with those programs, for small images, It just can't be done well enough to mislead you with false hopes.