Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High temperature vinyl???

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by g&eprinting, Jul 17, 2012.

1. g&eprinting

g&eprinting Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Everett MA
    Anyone seen this hoopla.?

After recieving a couple of calls of this high temp vinyl for brake calipers and valve covers I did some searching from my manufactuers and found zip..

Are they marketing regular cast vinyl as high temp (ploy) to get (fool) new customers?

Do a search of " high temp vinyl decals" and see the madness.

Tags:
  2. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Sounds suspect. Valve covers perhaps, brake calipers no. Calipers can get very hot very fast.

3. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    I don't know of a vinyl alone that will stand those temps. But there are thermo tapes that you could lay down first that obsorb the heat and then vinyl over that. You can also apply some different clear coats that will keep the print from melting and what not. Seems like alot of work when you could just paint them.

4. kklabelusa

kklabelusa New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    I have not heard of "high temp vinyl" but I have used my companies calendared cutting vinyl on my personal calipers with a clear over it. It has been a year so far with no problems. Here's a picture just to show the durability of regular calendared vinyl through heat for your future reference.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  5. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    heat and plastic do not mix well.

6. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Anyone else notice the nice cross hatch marks on the rotor? :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  7. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Yes. Means it is still on jack stands.:Big Laugh

8. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Or never been drove.

Takes a few laps at the track but they will cook off. Under any normal and even hard street driving the caliper itself will not get extremely hot all the time.

Commute back and fourth to work and jam out on the weekends at the local 7/11 with your buds and sure, your calipers and rotors will look pretty and shiny all year long.

But put some good ceramic pads in there, drive it like a test driver for car and track, and by lap 3 the powder coating is gone, rotors are grooved about .040 in and what was your decal is now dust off in the wind.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  9. slipperyfrog

slipperyfrog Active Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Those wheels have not touched the street yet.

Nice that you want to push your companies product but lying is the wrong way to do it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  10. Nuagedesigns

Nuagedesigns Premium Subscriber

May 7, 2007
    Seymour, CT
    It looks as if the lug nuts aren't even there.

11. kklabelusa

kklabelusa New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Sorry for the misunderstanding and confusion. Everyone is correct, those are new rotors and my car was on jack stand due to the fact that you're not supposed to resurface cross drilled rotors so I had just replaced them. When the picture was taken rotors were brand new, calipers were used. The wheels were just on to check for clearance of the calipers before I get them re-lipped. They don't even have tires on them in the picture. Once again, sorry for the confusion. If anyone is around Azusa area feel free to come take a look at the calipers and the vinyl that is on there, they are on my daily driven car.

12. kklabelusa

kklabelusa New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Also if you googled "vinyl on calipers" there are plenty of people that has used vinyl on calipers for years. I don't know if they clear coat over it but I did clear coat mine.

13. g&eprinting

g&eprinting Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Everett MA
    I'm sure they'll last for a bit either way. Cast more than calendared. I was just saying all this marketing to call it high temp a little crazy.

I know there is a poly for powder coating that takes the heat but not in many colors.