• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Highway Billboards

jrpaceys

Starting to get some customer requests for highway billboards. Looking at Pressure treated wood frames with Alupanel 12x8' is the sizing. I have researched and answered all concerns regarding government and regualtions but. My questions are -

- What is common in the industry? For us to hold ownership of the billboard, sell the impression and installation along with a annual rental contract with the customer that requires them to replace the message every so often?

- Or sell the impression and simply include the rental of the location - no time frame of refreshing message?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Biker Scout

You mean a legitimate billboard? They are made out of welded steel pipe frame that's bolted to a cement slab that's about 44 cubic yards of cement buried in the ground, and sometimes have their own gnerator and fuel tank on site? Or do you mean one of those cheesy, low to the ground mom & pop style billboards where the PO-lice sit behind eating their crullers and looking at dirty mags, trying to catch speeders?

Billct2

Maybe things up there are different but around here it's almost impossible for an average sign shop to get in the billboard business. It's like finding hens teeth to get a location that hasn't already been got, and most towns don't allow any new ones .
But I did help build some when I worked at a shop on NH. They were old school, big wood posts with MDO panels and a decorative bottom skirt. No cops behind them though.

visual800

Starting to get some customer requests for highway billboards. Looking at Pressure treated wood frames with Alupanel 12x8' is the sizing. I have researched and answered all concerns regarding government and regualtions but. My questions are -

- What is common in the industry? For us to hold ownership of the billboard, sell the impression and installation along with a annual rental contract with the customer that requires them to replace the message every so often?

- Or sell the impression and simply include the rental of the location - no time frame of refreshing message?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

people will always request what you dont offer. But the minute you offer it they no longer want it. Humans are very interesting.

Wanna test my theory go ahead and price one of these billboards out for a few of these folks. People "like" the idea of something. When in general they just won't get it

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
people will always request what you dont offer. But the minute you offer it they no longer want it. Humans are very interesting.

Wanna test my theory go ahead and price one of these billboards out for a few of these folks. People "like" the idea of something. When in general they just won't get it

Very true. My dad told me a long time ago that we can't take on every little job that comes in the door, nor should we, and now I know what he meant. Its just like when you have a vehicle in your yard for sale and someone stops you in walmart to ask you what you want out of it, even though you know they have no interest in it.

Mosh

I used to do billboards up until the mid 90's. The billboard companies have bought up all the locations and can produce the billboard faster and cheaper (cause it is all they do).

Anyway back in "the day" we would build billboards for customers, we also owned three and rented them. The rent included changing the sign out one a year, all vinyl back then.

jrpaceys

Up here in Northern Ontario unlike more densely populated areas, space is abundant municipality and governing agencies are able and willing to provide permits. Construction is not the question, just simply what is common practice with billboards for pricing structure. example : rentals/ leasing - refreshing image (time frames) and so on. That being said if good customers are willing to pay, why would we not try keep them content and spending money with you...

the graphics co

I would suggest calling some of the billboard companies Clear Channel & CBS outdoor are the big ones around here, and asking for pricing, monthly, yearly, per impression and so on. Or you might be able to find the pricing information online somewhere.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't it make more sense to figure out what you need to complete each scenario and find two or three combinations you like and offer them up at your price scale ??

What's it matter what others are getting ?? Will they be similar to your set up, marketplace or profit margin ??

Wooden billboards at the size you mentioned are considered mini boards around here. In fact, the wooden kind are just about extinct. 10' x 12' is the smallest you can go and still be considered a billboard and qualify for that kinda status. Most are 14' x 48' to 52' with some other sizes available.

TammieH

We use to do a lot of wooden billboards back in Ohio, Indiana and KY for our "home builder customers" always on their land though. average size was 8-12' high, 24' wide, on 6x6 posts (sometimes telephone poles when needed)...with 2x4 stringers, we did a few larger occasionally, but most municipalities, counties and states don't allow them any longer. Set back and all calls for larger signs as well,

An 8 x 12 is normally way too small, if you can't read it, its a waste of money for your customer.

Baz

How far away are these signs being viewed from? 8'x12' to me is to small for a "highway sign". Those things should at least be 16'x16' and most common is going over the 20' or 24' range.

In regards to wooden structures .... In that size just using 6"x6" is not enough. If i am using preassure treated lumber i will be sandwiching my 6"x6"s with 2"x6"s creating a 6"x9" if you will. And if you are using this type of wood then you can't really install them in ground since you are limited to 16" lenghts. Best way for these is using metal t-posts to secure your wood posts to the ground and have front and back braces holding the posts up.

Ideally for these big signs you should be using telephone poles along with 2"x6" crosspieces at every 24".

Last edited:
just wondering

did your request sound like this
Hi I called I just now inquiring about your billboard printing specifications. I was wondering if you could answer these questions regarding your billboards.

1. Final print dimensions
2. File dimensions
3. File resolution
4. File format (eps, jpg, pdf, etc.)
5. Print colours (CMYK, RGB)
6. Substrate (Paper, vinyl, etc.)
7. Additional rules (Bleed, oversizing, transparency, etc.)

We have had a couple calls and emails in our neck of the woods for billboards, makes me wonder?
First one said " we are no where ready to order yet, just need pricing"

Mosh

WAIT....Did they ask what credit card you take and not to worry about shipping these billboards????

round man

Down here in Dixie and n most of the US, Billboards are rented monthly with 4,6,month and yearly or multiyear leases based on traffic audit bureau numbers(number of cars passing daily on highway adjacent to the ad),...production is usually extra unless there is a multiyear lease and often as not to be redone on at least a yearly basis as to not reflect poorly on the outdoor advertising firm(billboard owner),......as many have stated most of the legal locations have been gobbled up by the big firms and the local govt.'s have usually done their best to limit the building of new ones,.....

CentralSigns

The standard size is 10 by 20. We have one we do for McDonys thats 12 by 24 and they don't print that size at all in anywhere across Canada. Also a 12 ft board is a bit to high to use conventional billboard tools on, you end up needing wider catwalks. We have to use the standard 10 by 20 and try to fill the edges in every 6 months, what a pain. Alumipanel reacts with pressure treated lumber to oxidise the aluminum, bad idea.

jen.reelez

I can relate with this. Just remember the quote "you can't please everyone"..:Big Laugh

Sort of indecisive type of decision-making.. :rolleyes:

Not sure why you would want to attempt to compete with Pattison Outdoor or CBS Outdoor. They control the Market in Canada and can sell the space and print for very cheap commodity levels. The 10 x 20s ( 30 sheet posters ) are still blueback paper. You need to be prepared to sell these for about $45.00 each to those companies. We used do tons of them but it has gotten so down and dirty with pricing it is not even worth it anymore. Rumor has it that these structures will soon be changing over to cable system that Lamar, Circle and Formetco MFG. so one installer can take a poster down and install a new one in about 15 minutes and production will be done on Eco flexx or PE at about $35.00 per poster. Why you would want to even get involved with such low margin commodity work with out huge volumes to drive it?

Sorry to burst your bubble but going home broke and tired should not be part of your business plan.

Last edited:

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
25 miles outside of Houston, the big boys are getting $850-$1400 per month on 1 year lease. I am looking to buy billboards but the big boys offer so much $ for the guys who are already legit and letting their signs decay.

k.a.s.

Rented a billboard last fall for our other business, it was $600.00 for 4 weeks. What they actually put on the billboard was a big paper print that they sold me for $150. The price goes up or down depending on the location of the sign.

I do have a few smaller independent billboards that I have made signs for, usually hanging a banner on top for shorter term, or aluminum panels for longer term stuff.

Kevin