• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiker grommet press issue

Murray

Hello all and thank you for reading my post.

We've had a hiker grommet press for many years now and have not had a single issue, really its been the machine to die for .... but .... Recently we purchased the 5/8" die (very large) and started using that size for banners that are held up over main roads using carabiners (thus the need for the larger grommets). For the first few hundred or so grommets all was well just like the smaller #2 grommets, then for some unknown reason the press started to drop the washer on every dozen or so grommets. The grommet is piercing the material perfectly and the grommet is curling & setting perfectly on the back side of the material. ( i know because it is hell removing the grommet so that i can re-press another set and hope that it works properly)
My question to all my fellow sign makers on this site is,"Why is it suddenly failing to properly set the grommet to the washer to a very standard 13 oz banner material, when it will set #2 grommets in the same material all day long? Its not only very frustrating but very time consuming removing every failed grommet so i can basically do the same thing and mostly have a perfectly set grommet on the 2nd try. Sorry the explanation is so long and convoluted. Any suggestions from fellow Hiker users would be appreciated.

Thank you Thank you!!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Kinda seems more like inferior or faulty grommets more than an issue with the tool?

Murray

Hiker Grommets?? or Ebay ones??
Yes Gary, Hiker grommets but indeed ive wondered if i migh have a bad lot of grommets as i cant think of anything else, its not exactly rocket science but still very frustrating

garyroy

There is an adjustment on the die that accepts the grommets. You can make the "crush" different by adjusting it up or down.
The larger grommet might have to be adjusted by means of the die. Of course, do not practice on printed banners.
Just use excess material to practice on. When you get that adjusted properly, that should make a difference, try it.
Also, when in doubt call the manufacturer. It's hard to believe it's a bad batch, though possible. Hiker had been making these for a long time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Due to the covid 19 pandemic, all grommet machines have been on the fritz. Did you cover the machine ??