• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiring new employees, any words of wisdom

anthony smith

Best places to place ads, go thru employment company,
What has worked for you ?????
I have been doing this for 20+ years and love what i do,
but the time has come to take over more of the management and less of the actual production end of my company.
Ours is a family business like so many but sons decided a few years ago they didn't want the 12-16 hr days and weekends so have spread their wings and
few the coupe.
So now i am left with a large amount of work with no experienced help, so 18 hr days 7 days a week for the last couple years
Really need to find a couple quailty people but so for, have really not had any luck.
Need to get serious with this staffing issue since i would love to create a business attractive to a potential buyer
Numbers all look great but work load is so overwhelming the average person is not going to tackle.
any hints and or suggestions.
Greatly appreciated

CanuckSigns

Our biggest issue we have found is us, I'm not a very good teacher, I can do anything in the shop, but I'm horrible at teaching someone how to do it.

If you are like me, try to find people who have experience already, it will cost you more, but it will be worth it, they may even teach you a few things.

also, if you are working those kinds of hours, I'm surprised you have waited this long to look for someone!

WildWestDesigns

Really need to find a couple quailty people but so for, have really not had any luck.

Some of that I do believe is a part of where you are at as well. Demographics are going to play a part (Alicia is from Huntland, so I've been around there quite a bit). You've had a lot of "drain" out of that town to other places.

Going through an agency is good in one respect, but not so good in another. I've known quite a few that have gotten work through agencies, but 95% of the time it wasn't stable as they were let go right before the time elapsed to were they moved on to full time or where entitled to more benefits etc. After so much of that, they tend to just do the bare minimum. Not everyone mind you, just the ones that I've known that have received work through agencies.

Like above, I would look for someone with experience already. If they are going to be hitting the ground running, you aren't really going to want to spend the time to get them up to speed on everything (for the most part).

Lucky Sky

A couple of suggestions

For several different jobs during the interview process my husband was given various personality tests. I recommend spending a few hundred $ doing this with your final candidates. The test will reveal things they may not know about themselves and things they will try and hide from you. For example it may reveal that they don't have an eye for details. In the long run it will save you days, months or even years of time and effort if you bring in the wrong person.

Another idea is consider a temp agency. When you find the right person you can usually take them from temp to permanent.