• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Holiday Window Painting

fresh

One of our favorite clients asked us to do a holiday window for her... We've never painted a window, so this sounded like fun. The artwork is altered from a design book (adding the white trim, santa cap, and fruit basket to the lovely lady.) The drawing was cleaned up in corel, then pen-plotted to use as a guide. We thought that painting the outlines first would be the best way to go, and it turned out great but took FOREVER. Seriously, it took two of us 6 hours to install. But woah, it looks SO cool.

Attachments

• WPTLs.jpg
    WPTLs.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 95
  • T1Jgv.jpg
    T1Jgv.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 71
  • sK6RG.jpg
    sK6RG.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:

Jillbeans

That's really nice.
Next time try my method:
Pen plot if you can't freehend
(I freehand)
Tape paper to inside, like you did.
Trace with a blue Stabilo pencil.
Go over the Stabilo with Kilz latex primer...the blue pencil bleeds thru as your guide.
Let that dry then block in your colors.
(I use Ronan day-glo but Rich Art is nicer)
Let that dry.
Then outline with flat black latex house paint.

I just tried to do a job like this Sunday but the damn window had some sort of silicone on it (like Rain-X) my primer beaded all up.
I usually just clean my windows with rubbing alcohol but in this case if I had Bon-Ami I think I could have cleaned the window.
But I was afraid of the paint not adhering and going down onto the custom stone building.
Always make sure you have a good drop cloth taped up too.
Love....Jill
PS my time usually ranges from one to three hours, not counting drying time.

fresh

Nice job, what paint did you use?

We used Liquitex Basics acrylic paint. I did a bunch of research, and although I found many different things we could use, we already had this paint so we decided to try it out. It worked well, I would use it again.

fresh

That's really nice.
Next time try my method:
Pen plot if you can't freehend
(I freehand)
Tape paper to inside, like you did.
Trace with a blue Stabilo pencil.
Go over the Stabilo with Kilz latex primer...the blue pencil bleeds thru as your guide.
Let that dry then block in your colors.
(I use Ronan day-glo but Rich Art is nicer)
Let that dry.
Then outline with flat black latex house paint.

I just tried to do a job like this Sunday but the damn window had some sort of silicone on it (like Rain-X) my primer beaded all up.
I usually just clean my windows with rubbing alcohol but in this case if I had Bon-Ami I think I could have cleaned the window.
But I was afraid of the paint not adhering and going down onto the custom stone building.
Always make sure you have a good drop cloth taped up too.
Love....Jill
PS my time usually ranges from one to three hours, not counting drying time.

The drawing was done freehand, we then scanned it to enlarge it and add the copy. Even the scroll is freehand.

Thanks for the stablio tip.. I was thinking about doing that about halfway through the job, but we were worried it wasn't going to look the same as what was already there. Next time, we will definitely use this tip, thank you!

fresh

Very nicely done, but I don't see that being a money maker. Hope you charged plenty.

Ha, there is no way this client could pay us anywhere near what we should have charged. When she asked me to do it, I told her only if we had complete creative freedom... She gets what she gets. Her store is on a very prominent corner, and we looked at this as an opportunity to really show off what we can do. Its like we got to put up a billboard in the middle of downtown, how cool is that? We are going to be in the newspaper this week because of it, too!

Also, we love this client, and she has spent a good deal this year with us. We had fun, she's happy, and we made a little bit of money doing it. Hurray!

Jillbeans

I'm sure you will get a lot more work from this.
Just don't tell anyone what it cost the client...it's none of their beeswax.
:)