• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Home Based Business

signsofvinyl

Hello Everyone! I have been in business for less than 30 days and know nothing! I am only making vinyl wall art and home décor signs out of vinyl so I am sure I may bore most of you as you all sound so professional. Anyway, I am happy to be part of this group. Sandy ~ Signs of Vinyl

JgS

Welcome from New Mexico. I did the same thing for the first year until I had enough money to rent a space.

binki

Welcome. We all start somewhere. Good luck and ask a lot of questions. Have a thick skin, you will need it!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

OldPaint

when i started SIGN PAINTING full time, 1986, i was home based, you could say. most of that kinda work took me TO THE JOB LOCATION rather then doing stuff at home. the only things i did at home was some board signs, and some vehicles, if they could leave them a day or 2. all other work was store front windows, stock cars, wall painting AT THEIR LOCATIONS.
i moved to pensacola had some cash from the sale of the house in sarasota. decided to put in a store front shop. well, before i even opened the door i was $1500 out of pocket. and that didnt include the rent of $500 a month. getting electric, water, license & garbage.....ALL ARE MORE COSTLY FOR COMMERCIAL LOCATIONS. then i had to build a counter, easel in the building get desks and tables.
kept it open for almost 2 years. then the economy went in the pooper, couldnt even make the rent so i closed it. did some math, $500 a month X 24=$12,000.00!!!!!! not counting the utilities.......
sooooooooooooooo.....i decided rather then give anybody that much money, i could BUILD A SHOP ON OUR PROPERTY!!! we have 2 acres. so space to build was not an issue. i worked as a draftman and built metal buildings for a BUTLER BUILDINGS co. so i did some searhing on the internet and ordered a commercial 140 MPH windload(code where i live)building 24 x 30 x 16 foot tall for $8500.00!!!! put in the floor/foundation/anchor bolts and erected the complete building MYSELF. and designed and built the interior to fit my needs. NOW...... when i want to do something, i can go out there(60 feet from house)and do most any project that comes along. i also have in the building MY POTTERY!!!! WHEEL/KILNS and work area. can pull my vehicle in there to work on it, or do repairs on my tractor)))))

Gino

Premium Subscriber
when i started SIGN PAINTING full time, 1986, i was home based, you could say. most of that kinda work took me TO THE JOB LOCATION rather then doing stuff at home. the only things i did at home was some board signs, and some vehicles, if they could leave them a day or 2. all other work was store front windows, stock cars, wall painting AT THEIR LOCATIONS.
i moved to pensacola had some cash from the sale of the house in sarasota. decided to put in a store front shop. well, before i even opened the door i was $1500 out of pocket. and that didnt include the rent of $500 a month. getting electric, water, license & garbage.....ALL ARE MORE COSTLY FOR COMMERCIAL LOCATIONS. then i had to build a counter, easel in the building get desks and tables.
kept it open for almost 2 years. then the economy went in the pooper, couldnt even make the rent so i closed it. did some math, $500 a month X 24=$12,000.00!!!!!! not counting the utilities.......
sooooooooooooooo.....i decided rather then give anybody that much money, i could BUILD A SHOP ON OUR PROPERTY!!! we have 2 acres. so space to build was not an issue. i worked as a draftman and built metal buildings for a BUTLER BUILDINGS co. so i did some searhing on the internet and ordered a commercial 140 MPH windload(code where i live)building 24 x 30 x 16 foot tall for $8500.00!!!! put in the floor/foundation/anchor bolts and erected the complete building MYSELF. and designed and built the interior to fit my needs. NOW...... when i want to do something, i can go out there(60 feet from house)and do most any project that comes along. i also have in the building MY POTTERY!!!! WHEEL/KILNS and work area. can pull my vehicle in there to work on it, or do repairs on my tractor)))))

:ROFLMAO: so whose introduction is it ??

OldPaint

HEY GUMBA....was just sayin how i did with home base....for most of sign makin years)))) ill call addy and tell him youre given me poo poo))))

artbot

i was raised in a home based business. had a 33,000 square foot shop with two partners for a year (disaster). now i'm back in the sticks regrouping. actually this week i'm refurbing the vacuum table on my flatbed printer which is planted right in the family room. i'll never have an "in the city" shop again. get a house in an un-restricted area (other neighbors might have exotic hens, or a horse, several shop up and down the street). and you'll be right in the gray area between city ordinances and the "neighborhood police" aka deed restriction committee being hogtied.

there's a few bedrooms and a kitchen in there somewhere. (see below)

Attachments

• shop layout.jpg
    shop layout.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 81

peterpatterson

Welcome from Oklahoma

My father started his business from home by painting race cars. He would buy just enough paint to do the job. When he could afford it, he purchased a vinyl plotter that only used 15" material. Then he eventually moved up to a 24" plotter and a shop. Now he and my sister are the main "go to" shop in their town. I just recently started my own shop from home with a 24". Everyone starts somewhere. Hopefully you can find the info on here to help you become as successful as you want to be. Again, welcome. And don't worry about being boring.

Pete

thesignexpert

Welcome from Ohio. My father started his shop is his basement when I was just a wee lad almost forty years ago and I started my own shop out of my basement. It's a industry tradition :wink: