Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made Take up reel? Take up Reel hacks?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by depps74, Nov 20, 2018.

1. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    Anyone out there know of a way to make a homemade take up reel or perhaps have a hack around the $1100 price tag for an HP take up reel? I currently have a catch basket and spool onto a cardboard core and babysit. Maybe there is a homespun way to do this I am not seeing? OR do I have to suck it up and buy the take up reel?

2. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    You could definitely rig something up with some simple code on a raspberry pi and a contact sensor that would queue a motor for a second or two when material gets low enough. I've thought about it when we had a Roland that had no automatic take-up, but we ended up getting an hp so I never had to make one.

3. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
  4. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    A take up reel also adds tension so your media is tight and doesn't hit the heater.

You could buy a motor and sensor and all that and not have the tension... But why go aftermarket?

For the $1000 you get a tension bar... Take up reel, and a second media bar. So if your not using it for the take up function you can have two medias loaded and save time on switching medias.

$1000 isn't much compared to the machine... Definately worth buying it instead of trying to rig your own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. pjfmeister

pjfmeister Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Missouri
    I have an extra - complete take up real system from a VJ1624....new still in the box...if you think it will work make me an offer...Pretty big box so i would guestimate $80-$100 ground shipping...

6. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    I took the spool and axle from the take up mechanism on my VJ1204, slapped together a stand out of a couple of 2x4's and scrap aluminum laminate, added casters, and a mini-bungie stretched over the exposed end of the axle for tension. The spool stands as high as the bottom of the printer. I roll it over in front of the printer and when the print has a couple of feet hanging out the front I gently pick up the bitter end and tape it to the spool. When the loop in the print is hanging dangerously close to the floor I turn the axle winding the print on the spool. About every 10-15 minutes or so. Gravity provides sufficient tension on the print. Sort of like a manual version of the take up version of an old Mutoh Falcon.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  7. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I bought one of those cheapy dual motor $200 generic ones on eBay. Didn't hold my hopes up as the "tension" system is a joke. But... the media wraps as needed, gravity (mostly) provides the tension. Been using it for almost a year with no issues.

8. depps74

depps74 Guest

Apr 28, 2016
    ct
    Can you provide a link? or perhaps a pic? brand name?

9. InstantOneMedia

InstantOneMedia Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Atlanta
    We bought a take up reel system on Aliexpress about 3 years ago and mounted it to the wall near our laminator and it worked great. However, we stripped the torque dial and had to replace the whole unit. We bought one 3 weeks ago from Digiprint. https://www.digiprint-supplies.com/en/digitool-media-take-up-54.html?category=684 It arrived in 5 days and is much better and about the same price as those found on Aliexpress. Most units on Aliexpress have a motor on 1 side. The Digiprint model has a motor on each side and seems to be more stable and better torque. You'd have to figure out a way to mount it to your printer, but I'm sure it can be done.

10. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Another option might be to find a used one and retrofit it to your machine. There are plenty of broken down parts machines on Ebay and craigslist that might have one for cheap.