Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honey Cut?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by ScottyAdams, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ScottyAdams

ScottyAdams Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Has anyone heard this term before? I have a customer requesting a Honey Cut (who isnt quite sure themselves what it is). Im just curious has anyone else heard this term before? Thanks.

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Can ya back up a little and explain how it was posed to you in it's entirety ??

3. ScottyAdams

ScottyAdams Member

Apr 6, 2012
    ok so after our sales person asked more about it the customer responded with this...

"I would need this image cut into Honeycutt or another material appropriate for sandblasting."

with an attached vector logo.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Well, some of those terms go together, like sandblasting and vector images. It must be some sort of wood, cardboard, composite wood or something. You'd be best off asking them for their explanation. Just be honest and tell them it's not a common term used in our industry.

5. sinetist

sinetist Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Gabriola BC, Canada
    I've heard of Anchor sandblast resist referred to as "Buttercut" for it's ease of handcutting.

6. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    + 1

(Either that or the old Dodger pitcher Rick Honeycutt.)

7. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Wasn't Anchor that made buttercut sandblast stencil, it was 3M. I used it long ago before switching to Anchor.

8. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    What you should really be asking yourself is how your customer knows what the material is that is used for sandblasting. Isn't that your job?

9. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    ...still never heard of it, but I'm also inclined to believe that they want sandblasting mask.

Attached Files:

10. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Get sandblast mask and tell them you have Honey Cut.

11. Dovette

Dovette Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Stinger Coroplast?

First thing that came to my mind when reading this was Stinger Coroplast.
    It's pretty cool stuff--Environmentally friendly, non-yellowing, weather resistant. It's pretty sturdy, and usually comes in a 5 mil thickness.

Attached Files:

12. Dovette

Dovette Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah, I don't think it can be sandblasted. (Sorry, I just now caught in your first post that the customer needed/wanted the substrate sandblasted.)
    It's made from polypropylene resin.

Mostly Stinger Coroplast is used for
    Heavy-duty or semi-permanent signage, outdoor signage, hanging signage, convention/trade show booths ect ect.

Usually it's used in place of PVC, plastic laminated foam board, and wood products (plywood, MDF, OSB, ect.).

13. Richard G

Richard G Member

As him if he's not confused and this is something his wife asked him to do.....Honey do...

14. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    stinger coroplast?
    oooooooo, i get it, honeyCOMB! hah. "Samsonite! I was waaaay off"

15. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I don't do any sandblasting but can Honeycut be some kind of blasted grain effect?

I put in honey cut sign blasting in Google and it took me to honey cut images, it seems to be the background.

honey cut sandblasted signs Google images