• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hood wraps with 3m 1080 and knifeless tape

slappy

anyone doing them?? I posted awhile back i wanted to do my hood on my jeep, but couldn't cut it with the plotter and was pointed in this direction. The more research i've done, the more i'd like to start doing them, but not sure how to charge them. How much are you getting for them if you don't mind me asking.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you are wrapping the hood what would you need the knifeless tape for? Oversize the print by a couple of inches, install it, wrap to the inside about half an inch, trim the excess off, done.

megacab

if you are talking about custom designs or stripes on the hood using knifeless tape, then yes. some are doing them. not necessarily using 3m 1080 though. as for pricing, i just price things as i normally would and add cost + markup for the knifeless tape.

here is a vette i just did with knifeless tape.

019-4.jpg

another hood design i did with knifeless tape.

044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ucmj22

I've found that the knife less tape can leave a bit of a sawtooth edge on the vinyl. What do you do to alleviate that?

CheapVehicleWrap

I've found that the knife less tape can leave a bit of a sawtooth edge on the vinyl. What do you do to alleviate that?

If you look at the kevlar thread under 10x magnification you'll see it's made up of approximately 30 windings. They have minimal stretch but when pulled taught quickly and fluidly (and correct angle) you'll minimize the sawtoothing as the fibers compress and create a smaller diameter tighter wound knife. It's important to have enough to grab to get that motion. You'll notice that in the videos they usually cover the edge with pinstripe.

megacab

If you look at the kevlar thread under 10x magnification you'll see it's made up of approximately 30 windings. They have minimal stretch but when pulled taught quickly and fluidly (and correct angle) you'll minimize the sawtoothing as the fibers compress and create a smaller diameter tighter wound knife. It's important to have enough to grab to get that motion. You'll notice that in the videos they usually cover the edge with pinstripe.

that's been my findings also. If i try and baby it, it doesn't cut well. if i grip it and rip it, it comes out like i did it with a blade. also, i cannot stress enough the need to have a good sized piece to grab on to as stated above. do not go cheap, sorry CVW, on this part of it.

fmg

Knifeless tape is an awsome product.Bit of a small learning curve but when you get the hang of it works wonders.
Here are two images of us using the product and the after results. We are featured on their website http://www.knifelesstechsystems.com/Home.aspx

Attachments

• 418274_10150652468049284_198116299283_8983043_1045800715_n.jpg
    418274_10150652468049284_198116299283_8983043_1045800715_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 419740_10150652469774284_198116299283_8983049_421156436_n.jpg
    419740_10150652469774284_198116299283_8983049_421156436_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 105
love knife less tape its great def a trick to it just mess with it a few times on some scrap find the right speed and angle to cut down on the sawtoothing but once you figure it out it can really help you out...good luck!

slappy

photo's you guys posted is exactly what i want to do. I got customers here everyday coming in with brand new Fords, Dodges etc, for truck accessorories here. This would be something perfect probably to offer them for some extra $$$ that i could do while someone is installing a set of running boards.
I would want to use the knifeless tape to match the contour on some of the hoods and hood scoops the guys got and not mark up things with a razor, which i am extra careful with and always use a sharp blade.... but playing with these hoods, i don't want it to come back down the road to bit me if i happen to make a mistake.
can i ask though, is anywhere from $200 - $300 a good rate on these? material on the 1080 is about $250 on a 10 yard roll, with the special series being slightly less then double.

I thought the 1080 would be perfect, but what other material would you guys suggest using?

jessie! you crack me up! lol

fmg

We used the 1080 Carbon Fiber as you see in the pic.The price was substantially higher than what you mentioned in your post.I would say that you are definitely on the cheap side there.

CheapVehicleWrap

We used the 1080 Carbon Fiber as you see in the pic.The price was substantially higher than what you mentioned in your post.I would say that you are definitely on the cheap side there.

Here we go with the cheap again. And yes 1080CF I agree. Thou shall not work for Ramon Noodles.

WhiteWrapper

If you heat the area over the tape and push down with your finger it will cut brushed and textured surfaces more cleanly.