• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Horizontal Copies and WinPlot

signman315

Signmaker
Hello to all the fellow signmakers out there!

I have a question regarding my Summa, Winplot, and horizontal copies....I'm wondering how to get the Summa/WinPlot to look horizontally for the next copy instead of just vertically. So for example when I'm cutting small magnets with somewhat complex cuts it's ideal if I can put a set of registration marks on a small batch or even single magnet....this way the cutter reads each set of marks, cuts one magnet, then goes onto the next one, reads those marks and so on and the cuts are perfectly accurate as well as it runs unattended until all jobs are cut. It will look vertically for the next copy by default but it never looks horizontally. I've attached a picture of what a sample print job looks like. I've done this method with a Mimaki plotter and in the Mimaki Finecut plugin for Illustrator you could just select how many horizontal/vertical copies there were and it would read horizontally until the last one then move up to the next row and so on. It's a super simple process and I've been using plotters/printers for 10 years but only owned a Summa for about 5 months and am embarassed that I can't figure this out. I've emailed tech support from Grimco (where the machine was purchased) and they just sent me the plotter's user manual and said "hope it helps"....which of course I went through the user manual before I contacted them for help. I didn't see anything in the manual, so either I'm missing something (hopefully that's the case) or WinPlot/Summa aren't capable of this (seems silly if that's the case). Thanks for all your help :)

Attachments

• IMG_3810.jpg
    IMG_3810.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 179

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Hello to all the fellow signmakers out there!

I have a question regarding my Summa, Winplot, and horizontal copies....I'm wondering how to get the Summa/WinPlot to look horizontally for the next copy instead of just vertically. So for example when I'm cutting small magnets with somewhat complex cuts it's ideal if I can put a set of registration marks on a small batch or even single magnet....this way the cutter reads each set of marks, cuts one magnet, then goes onto the next one, reads those marks and so on and the cuts are perfectly accurate as well as it runs unattended until all jobs are cut. It will look vertically for the next copy by default but it never looks horizontally. I've attached a picture of what a sample print job looks like. I've done this method with a Mimaki plotter and in the Mimaki Finecut plugin for Illustrator you could just select how many horizontal/vertical copies there were and it would read horizontally until the last one then move up to the next row and so on. It's a super simple process and I've been using plotters/printers for 10 years but only owned a Summa for about 5 months and am embarassed that I can't figure this out. I've emailed tech support from Grimco (where the machine was purchased) and they just sent me the plotter's user manual and said "hope it helps"....which of course I went through the user manual before I contacted them for help. I didn't see anything in the manual, so either I'm missing something (hopefully that's the case) or WinPlot/Summa aren't capable of this (seems silly if that's the case). Thanks for all your help :)

I haven't seen a setting that will allow you to find jobs horizontally. Why not just set up small batches like you have in your example and cut using the xy adjust option. Super accurate and we never have any problems with it.

signman315

Signmaker
I haven't seen a setting that will allow you to find jobs horizontally. Why not just set up small batches like you have in your example and cut using the xy adjust option. Super accurate and we never have any problems with it.
I'm not familiar with the XY adjust option but I'll look into it and see if it helps. I'll do some testing next week and report back with results. Thanks to all replied and I welcome any other suggestions. Have a good weekend folks!

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the XY adjust option but I'll look into it and see if it helps. I'll do some testing next week and report back with results. Thanks to all replied and I welcome any other suggestions. Have a good weekend folks!

The xy adjust makes it read the registration marks and the bar across the front so it can account better for any skew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

signman315

Signmaker
The xy adjust makes it read the registration marks and the bar across the front so it can account better for any skew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha, thanks again!

So although I haven't had a chance to test selecting "no feed" in the output tab, I do have some info to report back to any who are interested....I've found that I can cut larger runs within a single set of registration marks if I manage the extra weight of the magnet as it hangs off the front/back of the machine during cutting. So if you place tables on each side that hold the excess weight of the magnet then it cuts perfectly all day long. In my case it's the fact that the magnet is so heavy it pulls against the feed of the plotter and cumulatively pulls it out of registration with each movement. So if that weight is relieved then the plotter can work is normal. Poorly explained I know...but hey I'm a signmaker not an author haha! I always liked the pictures in the books hahhahahhahah!

Also I still plan on trying the XY adjust and "no feed" suggestions but haven't had a chance to print some tests yet....

EffectiveCause

Premium Subscriber
Gotcha, thanks again!

So although I haven't had a chance to test selecting "no feed" in the output tab, I do have some info to report back to any who are interested....I've found that I can cut larger runs within a single set of registration marks if I manage the extra weight of the magnet as it hangs off the front/back of the machine during cutting. So if you place tables on each side that hold the excess weight of the magnet then it cuts perfectly all day long. In my case it's the fact that the magnet is so heavy it pulls against the feed of the plotter and cumulatively pulls it out of registration with each movement. So if that weight is relieved then the plotter can work is normal. Poorly explained I know...but hey I'm a signmaker not an author haha! I always liked the pictures in the books hahhahahhahah!

Also I still plan on trying the XY adjust and "no feed" suggestions but haven't had a chance to print some tests yet....

Ahhhh....it all makes sense now. I was wondering why you were wanting to cut individual pieces. Didn't think about the whole weight issue.

signman315

Signmaker
Ahhhh....it all makes sense now. I was wondering why you were wanting to cut individual pieces. Didn't think about the whole weight issue.
Yup I was sure I wasn't sounding like I knew what I was talking about (I do I promise lol)....really a flatbed plotter is ideal for cutting large runs of magnets, but that's out of budget and on the wish list for the future, for now I'm working with what I've got, and this seems to do the trick....I've been making signs for about 10 years and just joined up with a smaller shop that doesn't have the equipment I'm used to so I'm working out solutions for now....if/when I figure out how to get my Summa to read sets of individual registration marks with multiple copies then I wouldn't need to manage the weight because it wouldn't have time to track off before reading the next set of marks, and it would cut accurate and unattended for large runs. So for now I'm just managing the weight with tables or by hand for small runs until I find a better way...I'll report back with any updates on the matter :) Thanks again to all, I love the folks on Signs101, in my experience everyone's friendly and knowledgeable!