• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hot foil printing foils as gerber edge refill... anyone done it?

xDaemoNx

Seen tons of hot foil roll slitters on ebay and alibaba, and that there is
foils that are approx the double width of a gerber roll.
just thinking of making my own refills for my gerber edge 2
using hot foil foils and cutting them to fit the gerber edge foil rolls and use them in a refill cartridge..
anyone done this? are there different temperatures when printing hot foil vs gerber foil?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like a bad idea to me since there are lots of options from third party suppliers like Duracoat, ZeroNine and others that will cut your price in half and are tested, proven solutions.

• The temperature and pressure settings are probably different.
  • Hot stamp foils are probably not as durable as thermal resin foils.
  • Hot stamp foils may not bond to vinyl like thermal resin foils do.
  • Hot stamp foils may not bond to other foils when overprinting like thermal resin foils do.
  • You could damage your printhead which will cost more to repair than any potential savings.

xDaemoNx

Sounds like a bad idea to me since there are lots of options from third party suppliers like Duracoat, ZeroNine and others that will cut your price in half and are tested, proven solutions.

• The temperature and pressure settings are probably different.
  • Hot stamp foils are probably not as durable as thermal resin foils.
  • Hot stamp foils may not bond to vinyl like thermal resin foils do.
  • Hot stamp foils may not bond to other foils when overprinting like thermal resin foils do.
  • You could damage your printhead which will cost more to repair than any potential savings.

Yes you are most likely 100% right.

thing that got me thinking was seeing a ordinary foil digital printing machine that seemed to use a similar print head and seemed like ordinary foil for hot printers.
and seeing that there are some pretty cool metallic and so on foils for hot printing, leopard patterns etc in metallic that would be a pretty cool ad on with the gerber.

would be a bad idea to risk the printhead with unproven foils not even made with gerber edge in mind...

jfiscus

Rap Master
It looks like you're in Sweden, so I am not sure if you have Craigslist? I have found quite a lot of Gerber machines on Craigslist myself; most of them with problems like blown pixels can be found for very cheap. I would think that if one with problems could be found for cheap enough to test the theory out, it'd be worth a try.