• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hot or Cold Lamination

MrPrint

Nubbs
Hi, I'm new to the wide format / sign world. I have just installed a new Roland VG54" Solvent printer and am looking to expanding into Vehicle wraps / large prints and so forth. I am trying to decided on what will be the best fit for my small shop for a lamination machine a hot or cold laminator. I have a used a Phoneix 44 hot lamination and the time it takes to heat up / mount and cool down can be very time consuming. I'm looking at a GFP 54" cold lamiantor.

Any advise what the more experienced members on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Cold is industry standard. Some machines will have something called heat assist, and it is used to cut down on silvering but that problem is almost non-existent these days due to better formulated adhesives.

MI Bearcat

Depends if you need to encapsulate or not. I paid the extra money to get one with heat as we do have customers that bring in posters to be encapsulated. We don't use the heat any other time.

MrPrint

Nubbs
I'm looking at the Phoenix 44 DHP- does both cold and heat - - Does anyone have experience with this unit? I use the heat mainly for mounting to Foamcore.